Chapter 118

"Look!" Jack says quickly. "Look look look look look!"

Gabriel and Lucifer, who had already been looking, stay silent. This is the first time Jack has successfully levitated the pencil, and neither archangel wants to break his focus.

But then the pencil falls back to the ground, and Jack sighs. "I thought I had it."

"You did awesome," Gabriel says immediately.

"But you're making progress," Lucifer says at the same time.

Jack looks up at them from his spot on the floor, sitting cross-legged like a child. "I guess."

"Jack, you picked up a pencil with your mind," Lucifer says. "That's already more than most people in this building can do."

"But it's not more than Chuck can do."

Lucifer sighs and sits down in front of him. "Jack, I told you, it's not going to happen overnight. Don't worry about what Chuck can do. You're getting better, and that's the important thing."

Jack smiles slightly. "I guess you're right."

"Just think about it," Gabriel adds, because he'll he damned if he's staying silent after Lucifer got a heart-to-heart with the kid. "You can move things without being near them. That alone is enough to play, like, 50 different tricks."

Jack grins. "You are helping me be a trickster!"

"Of course," Gabriel says. "Hell, you could even say I'm helping you trick God Himself."

Jack's eyes widen at that. "You're right. Wow."

Lucifer shoots Gabriel a glare, which he expected. Jack and Lucifer were having a moment, and Gabriel broke in and made it his own. But, in his defense, he couldn't just stand there and watch their father-son bonding time like he wasn't even there. He's an attention whore, and he'll be damned if he's giving Lucifer all of Jack's love and affection.

"I wanna try again," Jack says. "I'm going to get this down. I know I am."

"Go for it," Lucifer says.

Jack stares at the pencil, unblinking. Lucifer and Gabriel watch him for a few moments, but it gets boring eventually, so they look to each other instead.

"Oh my god," Gabriel mouths, exasperated.

Lucifer mimes shooting himself in the head. Gabriel can't help but smile. At least they can agree on one thing — this is so boring.

But then the pencil starts to float. It raises about a foot off the ground, and, slowly, it rotates, the lead facing the floor.

Jack grins. "I bet I can write like this!"

But then the pencil falls.

"Or not."

"Give it time," Lucifer says.

"Think about it," Gabriel says. "One day, you can just hide in a murderer's house and write the name of his victim over and over and over with your mind and he would go insane."

Jack gapes at him. "Have you done that before?"

"Not yet," Gabriel says. "I think I'd like to let you do the honors, though. I would love to sit back and watch you work."

"Really?"

Gabriel just nods.

"Oh my god, thank you!" Jack jumps to his feet and pulls Gabriel into a hug.

Gabriel awkwardly pats his back.

Lucifer gives his brother a very intense death glare and pushes himself to his feet, but then they hear footsteps, and everyone immediately looks to the doorway just as Sam walks in. He freezes in the doorway, his gaze landing on the two archangels.

"Sam," Gabriel says quietly. They've been working really hard to avoid each other for the last few weeks. He wasn't ready for the guy to literally walk through the door.

Lucifer, ever the social butterfly, disappears with a flap of his wings, which kind of pisses Gabriel off. Now that Lucifer left, Gabriel can't leave without making things awkward — even more so than they already are. Lucifer couldn't stick around so they could all be awkward together?

"Hi, Sam!" Jack says with a grin, seemingly oblivious to the tension.

Sam tears his gaze from the archangel and forces a smile. "Hi, Jack."

"What are you doing here?" Jack asks. "I mean, not that you can't be here, obviously, but no one ever comes to the garage."

"I was looking for you, actually," Sam says.

"Really?"

"Yeah," Sam says. "I heard you disappeared, and I wanted to make sure you were okay, but..." He risks a glance at Gabriel, but when their eyes meet, they both instantly look away. Sam clears his throat and continues, "it looks like you're doing okay, so I'm gonna... leave... now..."

"You don't have to do that," Jack protests.

"No, it's fine," Sam assures him.

"No, not really," Jack says. "In fact, I think you should stay, and I should leave for a few minutes."

"Jack —" Sam and Gabriel say in unison, both hoping to stop him.

"No, really, you guys should both stay," Jack says. "Just for, like, five minutes. I'll get out of your hair, and you two can try to sort out whatever it is going on between you two."

"Jack, I swear to God," Gabriel mumbles, but it's too late. Jack walks out of the room, leaving Sam and Gabriel alone.

A/N I don't usually talk about what's coming next but I'm too proud of myself to not brag that I wrote a whole 4000-word chapter about Jo and Lucifer that I was literally up until 1:30 last night working on. For reference, I aim to make my chapters about 1000 words, and this one is more like 850.