Chapter 125

Lucifer searches high and low for Jack once Chuck gives him the all clear to leave Jo's room. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as he had hoped. Jack's just not there. He can't find the kid in the garage. He can't find the kid on the roof. He can't find the kid in the halls. He can't find the kid in the dungeon — why the kid would be in the dungeon, Lucifer has no idea, but he's making sure to check all his bases.

When that doesn't pan out, he's left with one more option. It's not one that he's particularly excited for, but it's about all he has left, so, after a couple moments of hesitation, he flies to the war room.

He finds Jack pretty easily. He's listening to Castiel very intently, despite the fact that, knowing the angel, it's probably something boring.

That's not the part that gets his attention, though.

The first thing that catches Lucifer's eye is not that the kid is here and safe. It's that he's talking not only to the Winchesters, but to their angel friends, too.

Emphasis on friends.

Plural.

Clearly, Lucifer has missed a lot, because Sam and Gabriel are chatting it up like old friends. Granted, they technically are old friends, but after Jess showed up, any semblance of a relationship they had was gone. So, what, now that she and Kali are out of the way, they're back together? Well, that's just peachy.

But, while he's complaining about them in his mind, he's also noticing Jo and Michael, not too far away. They're sitting on the floor with their backs against a wall. Jo is showing him something — probably some type of movie, if the sideways phone and shared earbuds are any indication. And, to top it all off, Michael has his arm around her shoulders like the perfect little boyfriend, as if Jo hadn't just been complaining that he's too boring. Apparently, he's not boring enough.

So, to recap, because Lucifer needs a minute to process that no one cares about him: Jack has inserted himself into Dean and Castiel's parental care, Gabriel has apparently stolen Sam back, and Jo and Michael are enjoying their dull and lifeless relationship.

So where does that leave him?

"Oh, Lucifer, you're back," Michael says with a warm smile. "I wasn't expecting you to drop by."

Lucifer is acutely aware of the fact that everyone is now looking at him, and, he has to admit, he's not as thrilled with that fact as he would have been a few months ago. He's still intent on not causing a scene — which, it seems, is too late to do anything about. Still, any entertainment he can give Chuck is too much, so he'd like to limit it as much as possible.

"Well," Lucifer says after a brief pause, "I'm stuck here, too, so..."

"But you never spend time with us," Michael says, and it's unclear whether he's oblivious to Lucifer's discomfort or just pretending to be.

"Yeah, well." Lucifer shrugs awkwardly. "I think I've reached my social interaction quota for the month, so see ya."

He disappears from the room in the blink of an eye. He doesn't even have the motivation to make it fun, like snapping or whatever. He taught Gabriel many thousands of years ago that flying away is boring if you don't make some sort of scene. Flickering out, snapping and disappearing, whatever. It makes it more exciting. For once, Lucifer doesn't want to be exciting.

As soon as he's alone in the dungeon, he collapses. He never thought he'd pick the dungeon for a vacation spot, but every other hiding place has been discovered, and he's running out of options. At least he has the power to make it a little brighter, try to cheer it up a bit. A hidden crevice behind a bookshelf that holds a devil's trap on a concrete floor isn't the optimal feel-good space with any amount of light, but it seems a little more cheerful.