Chapter 41

"Yeah, you're making a lot of progress in Peggle," Gabriel says sarcastically, looking at his brother with a raised eyebrow.

Lucifer's lying facedown on a random bed doing absolutely nothing. He doesn't even acknowledge his little brother until Gabriel runs up to him and jumps on his back yelling, "Cannonball!"

Lucifer groans, feeling his spine crumble under his brother's weight. He sits up and pushes Gabriel off, healing his vessel easily before glaring at the younger archangel.

"What?" he snaps.

"Woah, Luce, what's up with you?" Gabriel laughs from the floor. "You sound like you just got thrown into a volcano like that ring from that movie."

"Fuck off," Lucifer growls.

"Nah," Gabriel replies lazily, sprawling out on the floor. "I'm good."

Knowing there's no point in trying to get him to leave, Lucifer just sighs and lies back down on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. They stay there in silence for what feels like hours, but in reality is probably less, until Lucifer finally speaks.

"Did you love Sam?"

Gabriel looks up at his brother curiously, but Lucifer is still staring at the ceiling with a blank expression.

"I still do," he replies.

Pause.

"How did you know?" Lucifer asks.

"How did I know what?"

"That you loved Sam," he clarifies.

"Oh." Gabriel takes a moment to think about that. "I don't know, honestly. I think, if you love someone, you just... know."

"Oh."

"Why?" Gabriel asks, looking up at his brother again.

"Just curious."

"Oh," Gabriel replies without any emotion before asking excitedly, "So, who is it?"

"No one."
"Aw, come on! You can tell me! Who is it? And if it's Sam, I'll tell you right now, that's not gonna happen. Is it Dean? I mean, he's not my cup of tea, but to each their own."

"I hate literally every single person in this building," Lucifer deadpans.

"You don't hate me!"

"Yes, I do."

"Okay, but you're in the bunker," Gabriel reminds him.

"And?"

"And you don't hate yourself," Gabriel clarifies.

Lucifer doesn't respond.

"Right?"

Lucifer's silent.

"Wait, were you including yourself in that?" Gabriel asks.

There's another moment of silence, and just as he assumes Lucifer isn't going to answer, he does.

"When was the last time I did anything right?"

Gabriel sucks in a breath through his teeth as he thinks about this. Giving up, Gabriel says carefully, "Well, 'right' is a relative term."

"Exactly. Never. I'm the least helpful being to ever exist — 'cept Dad and Amara, obviously. I have literally done nothing helpful in my entire life."

"You've kept me company," Gabriel reminds him, completely out of other ideas to reassure his brother.

"No, you've kept me company. If Chuck didn't decide to be the asshole that he is by sticking me here with you, you'd be with Michael, and probably having a hell of a lot more fun than you are now."