Chapter 53

"Are you serious right now?" Adam demands, outraged.

"Angel is not a vampire!" Samandriel adds.

"I call bullshit," Adam declares. "There's no way in hell that guy is a freaking vampire. If Buffy kills him, I'm gonna be pissed."

For those unfamiliar with the Buffyverse, Adam and Samandriel at watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer. They've been binging it all day, and so far, they've made it to episode seven (ish because the author is too lazy to fact check it and is going by memory).

"I might have to get rid of the show if she does," Samandriel says. "I refuse to watch something where the best people are killed off like that."

"I second that," Adam agrees.

Together, they finish the episode, which involves a lot of chatting about what the characters are doing — "Dammit, Xander! Shut the hell up!" "See, Angel's not a bad guy!" and so on.

When it's over, Adam looks over at Samandriel, who's lying in the bed with him, a respectable distance away. He wouldn't have noticed if he didn't remember that personal space boundaries didn't seem to exist when Adam wasn't as sane as he is now. He decides to ask the question he's been wondering since Chuck gave him his sanity back, which was, like, twenty hours ago, even though it feels like forever and a half because I never update oops.

"Samandriel?"

"Hm?"

"Are you just hanging out with me because you think you have to?" Adam asks. "Because if there's anywhere you'd rather be, I'm capable of surviving on my own. I'm not mentally a five-year-old anymore."

"I know, but I don't really know anyone else here," Samandriel tells him. "I've only met the Winchesters and Castiel a few times. We aren't exactly friends. If you'd rather I leave, though, I will."

"No!" Adam says quickly, then clarifies, "Um, I mean, you don't have to. I like having you around."

Samandriel smiles at that. "And I, you."

Adam moves closer to him, resting his head on the angel's chest as they did so much before Adam regained his sanity. Samandriel puts an arm around him, and just like that, they're back to watching tv like nothing happened.

~~

"You're distracted," Kali observes, pulling away from Gabriel slightly.

"What? No, I'm not!" he says as if the idea were ridiculous.

"You are. I know you, Loki. After nearly a century, I picked up a few things about you."

"You're seeing things that aren't there," Gabriel replies dismissively. "You're the only thing on my mind, Kali." He brushes her hair back gently, keeping his hand on her cheek in hope that she'll give it up.

"I know that's not true. You can't trick me that easily."

Gabriel sighs and drops his hand. "Kali, it's nothing."

Kali looks at him expectantly.

Had they not had the privacy of their own room, he wouldn't have said anything, but he knows there's no use trying to keep it from her. Kali is nothing if not determined.

"It's my brothers," he says finally.

"The archangels?"

He just nods.

"What about them?"

Gabriel glances in the general direction of the two of them as he answers, "Chuck — my dad — God — whatever — will stop at nothing until they get along, and they're bound to make up eventually, but I just can't stop thinking about what happens then."

"What do you mean?"

"It's just... Lucifer's only friend is me, and now I'm with you, and he obviously can't stand you. Eventually, Lucifer will have Michael, but Michael likes Jo, and Lucifer can't stand her, either. He's basically losing everyone as soon as he gets them back."

"And...?"

"And what? That's it. That's the whole problem. What more are you expecting?"

"The problem part," she replies. "Why do you care? He's Lucifer."

"Yeah. He's my brother." He circles his face with his finger. "Gabriel. Archangel. Ringing any bells?"

"You were just trying to kill each other a few years ago," she reminds him.

He shrugs. "Some families have Taco Tuesday. Our family has Daily Death Matches."

"And that's normal? You kill each other and then pretend nothing happened?"

"Pretty much," he replies. "Angels are weird. Being a god is way less complicated." Less powerful, too, but less complicated nonetheless. "But you love weird. That's why you'd pick me over Baldur any day, huh?"

She scoffs. "You're still on that?"

"Of course I am," he replies. "Seriously. Baldur? That had to be a joke. I'm better than him in every sense of the word."

"No, you're not."

Gabriel smirks slightly. "You and I both know you don't believe that."

He leans in to kiss her again, partially to prove his point but mostly because he's kissing Kali, and who doesn't want that? But there's a small part of him that wants to use that as a distraction. Michael and Lucifer weren't really what was on his mind, but how could he explain to her that he can't stop thinking about a certain ex boyfriend of his?