Chapter 15

Everything is quiet for the next couple days. Sabriel continues making out in private, Destiel continues violating personal space, and Adam continues freaking out whenever he sees someone, leaving Samandriel to calm him down. Everything is going great until suddenly, Lucifer appears in the war room.

"What the hell?" he mutters, making it clear he didn't fly here. He attempts to walk away, but as soon as he reaches the hallway, he's flung back a few feet. He slams his foot into the wall angrily, but as soon as it breaks, it repairs itself.

"Guess Dad got bored, huh?" Michael observes, amused.

"Shut up," Lucifer replies.

Suddenly, Adam and Samandriel appear in the room as well. Adam begins screaming as soon as he sees Lucifer, and Samandriel can't make him stop.

"You can shut up, too," Lucifer adds.

"What happened to him?" John asks.

"He got stuck with Lucifer and Michael in the cage," Dean replies as Samandriel calms Samandriel down enough that he stops yelling.

"What cage?"

"In Hell," Dean clarifies. "Where God stuck the devil. Heaven and Hell brought Lucifer back to earth, and Sam got him and Michael back into the cage. Adam got caught in the crossfire."

"Okay, can you say it so it makes sense this time?" John asks.

"So God locked Lucifer in a cage in Hell, right? But the the demons brought him back."

"Wasn't just the demons," Lucifer reminds them, deciding that if he's going to be stuck out here, he might as well make people's lives difficult.

"And the angels," Dean adds.

"Wasn't just the angels, either," Lucifer says. "You and Sammy boy played your part, too, don't forget. You got it started, Sammy finished it, and I was free."

"I'm so confused," John mutters.

Dean sighs. "So there were these seals locking him in the cage. I broke the first one when I gave in in Hell."

"Gave in to what?"

"'And it is written that the first seal shall be broken when a righteous man sheds blood in Hell. As he breaks, so shall it break,'" Lucifer recites dramatically.

"What does that mean?"

"You should know. Alastair made you the same offer for a hundred years."

It takes John a moment to process this, and he turns to Dean in shock. "You started torturing souls in Hell," he says softly.

Dean just nods, his eyes on the floor to avoid his father's gaze.

"Why were you in Hell?" John asks, scared for the boy instead of mad.

"The demon that killed you and Mom killed Sam, so I sold my soul to bring him back," Dean tells him.

John sighs, shaking his head at the boy. "Dean..."

"Just following in Daddy's footsteps," Lucifer says, watching Mary and looking for her reaction.

"I already knew that, dumbass," Mary replies in a rare moment of vulgar language. "He told me in Heaven."

"Oh, right. Soulmates," Lucifer replies, mentally kicking himself for not remembering that. He debates using his soulmate comment now, but he doesn't. He'll have plenty of other things to add to the story. He might as well save the soulmates part for another time, if it arises.