Chapter 108

"Jo? You okay?"

The sound of Michael's voice brings her back to reality. She offers him a small smile, giving a dismissive, "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine."

"You seem distracted," Michael says.

"No, not at all," Jo says.

"Really?" he says skeptically.

Jo sighs. "I'm just... I'm kinda worried about Lucifer."

"You're worried about Lucifer?"

"Yeah, I know, it's weird," Jo says. "I'm the last person who should care how he's doing."

"No, that's not what I meant," Michael says. "If you think something's wrong, you're going to worry. You care too much. It's one of the things I love about you." He presses a kiss to her forehead, and she smiles. "I'm just wondering what you think is wrong with him. Sam may never talk to him again, but it's far from the first time he's lost someone he loved, and it's always because he's facing the consequences of his own actions. He's going to be upset, and then he'll get over it."

"You didn't see him after that whole thing blew up," Jo protests.

"No, but I heard it," Michael says. "Charlie said he threw her into a wall. That's his normal. He'll calm down eventually. And, who knows. He likes Charlie. She might even get an apology."

"Yeah, that's his normal," Jo says. "And for a minute, I thought he was at his normal. He screwed up the library, he hurt Charlie, he fought with his dad — your dad — God — Chuck — whatever. The whole nine yards."

"Wait, Chuck was here?" Michael asks. "What was he doing?"

"I think he was going to apologise, but Lucifer was pissed and Chuck is an egotistical bastard, so he just had to make it worse," Jo says.

"Well, that does sound like him," Michael says. "And it still sounds like Lucifer. What's the problem?"

"Well, I went in after Chuck left —"

"Jo!" Michael shoots her a glare. "You should know better than to try to talk to him when he's angry! He doesn't like you on a normal day. You're lucky he didn't throw you through a wall!"

"I know, I know," Jo says. "I wasn't going to. I went to check on Charlie, and somehow, Lucifer knew I was there, and he called me out." She purposely doesn't mention that Lucifer specifically told her to leave, and that she chose to pursue him instead. Michael wouldn't like to hear that.

"I'm surprised he called you over," Michael says. "Although, if he wanted to pick a fight, you'd probably be his first choice."

Jo scoffs. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"He hates you," Michael says. "And Chuck tried to get you two alone so much, that's just more incentive for him to want to pick a fight with you. He's not very keen on listening to our father."

"Okay, yeah, that's fair," Jo says. "And I really thought he was going to, too. He even threatened to punch a hole through my stomach. But then he just... didn't."

"Didn't punch a hole through your stomach?" Michael repeats. "I'd hope not."

"No, he didn't do anything," Jo says. "He looked like he was going to, and then he just left. Poof. Gone."

"And?"

Jo scoffs. "And what? He had the perfect opportunity to take a shot, and then he didn't. That's not normal."

"I don't see the issue," Michael says. "If he's decided against fighting, I'd call that a win."

"But it's not normal," Jo insists.

"Maybe it is now," Michael says. "Maybe he's trying to be good because he wants Sam to come back around. I don't know. But I'm glad. I don't want him to hurt you." He puts an arm around her. "I don't care how Lucifer's doing. I tried to be patient with him, but he's a lost cause. And as long as he doesn't try to hurt you, he can do whatever he wants. And if he even lays a hand on you, tell me, and I'll take care of him, okay? But otherwise, let's just forget about him, okay?"

"All right," Jo says. "It doesn't matter, anyway." She rests her head against Michael's shoulder. "He didn't hurt me, and now we're here, exactly where I want to be."

"Something tells me you don't actually want to be stuck in the bunker," Michael says with a small smile.

"No, maybe not, but you know what?"

"What?"

"Being in the bunker is how I met you," Jo says. "It's probably the only way that we could just hang out without having a million other things to do. So yeah, as much as I'd like to be able to leave, this is kinda where I want to be. Right here with you."