Chapter 75

Lucifer and Gabriel are alone in the war room for almost an hour. It's completely silent, the tension impossible not to notice. It's not really clear where it comes from. They're supposed to be friends, right? And even if they have their reasons not to want this, it's not like the other person knows them. Gabriel doesn't know Lucifer heard him talking about him behind his back, and Lucifer doesn't know Gabriel's still suspicious of Kali's death. Really, they should be able to ignore this all, at least for the night, but they don't seem to want to put it behind them.

Michael joins them in the war room over half an hour later. He glances between the two archangels, noticing how they're on completely opposite sides of the room, and in no hurry to change this. After a moment of hesitation, he walks over to Gabriel, who gives him a small smile.

"How are you holding up?" he asks quietly.

Gabriel shrugs slightly. "Been better."

"You could start talking to people again," Michael suggests.

"I don't have anyone to talk to anymore."

"You have me," Michael reminds him.

"You have Jo."

He frowns slightly at that. Well, that makes sense, unfortunately. "You could talk to Sam."

Gabriel subs. "No, I really can't."

"Why?"

Gabriel just shakes his head, and Michael takes the hint not to push.

"You have Lucifer."

Gabriel glances over at him, staring off into space as if he's not paying any attention, when in reality, he's listening to every word because there's nothing else to do.

"I'm not so sure I do," Gabriel says finally.

"What? Why?"

He waves a dismissive hand. "Story for another time." He can't just go around accusing his brother of murder, especially in a building protected by God himself, where murder is supposed to be impossible.

It's then that Lucifer hears a voice in his head, familiar but still hesitant.

Can I reach your through prayer?

Lucifer scoffs. Why would Sam want to know that, anyway?

He disappears, earning confused looks from Michael and Gabriel, who don't realize Sam was contacting him. He flies into Sam's bedroom with a whoosh, where he finds the boy sitting in bed. He jumps when the angel appears, as if Castiel didn't do that to him all the time when his wings still worked.

"Well, duh," Lucifer says, answering his unspoken question. "I am an angel. I just can't answer you back."

"Good to know," he replies.

"What'd you need?" Lucifer asks him. "Just looking for a social call? Or something a little less innocent?"

"No, I was wondering if you could, like, put me to sleep," Sam says, ignoring the angel's suggestive tone

"You mean like punch you in the face until I knock you out?" Lucifer asks with childish excitement.

"What? No! With your angel mojo or whatever!"

"Why bother? You've got maybe three hours of sleep in you. It won't make much of a difference."

"Either that or stay up all night sitting in bed alone," he replies with a shrug. "I'll take the three hours."

Lucifer scoffs. "Wish I had that option. Yeah, sure, I'll knock you out."

"Wait," Sam stops him quickly. "Don't you have Gabriel and Michael to talk to? What're you complaining about?"