Chapter 10

Sam leaving to check on Adam seems to be the symbol to start separate conversations. Balthazar looks around, not recognizing most of the people in this room. Finally, he walks up to the one person he sees who doesn't live to annoy him.

"Castiel," Balthazar greets him.

"Balthazar, I'm so sor—"

"You stabbed me," Balthazar interrupts. "I bloody hope you're sorry."

"I am," Castiel agrees. "I have done some regrettable things, but what I did to you..."

"Was Purgatory one of those regrettable things?"

Castiel nods. "Yes. I accidentally released the leviathan."

"Just when I thought you couldn't screw things up more," Balthazar says with an amused grin. "And Raphael?"

"Dead."

"So at least there's one up side to all of this."

"I don't believe Raphael could have done any worse than I did ruling Heaven," Castiel admits.

"You really screwed up, didn't you?"

"Yes."

"And did you let those idiots out of the box, too?" Balthazar asks with a glance at Michael and Lucifer, who are ignoring each other.

"Michael, no, but I did let Lucifer possess me to escape."

Balthazar raises an eyebrow. "Now you're just screwing with me."

"It was the only way to defeat the Darkness."

Balthazar sighs. "I'm almost glad you killed me."

"I'm not," Castiel replies. "I could have used the extra help. And less guilt."

"Don't feel too bad. I'm sure you would have gotten me killed some other way."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?"

Balthazar shakes his head. "No, not really."

Castiel lets put a small laugh. "It's good to see you again, Balthazar."

Balthazar smiles as he says, "You too, Castiel. You too."

~~

Lucifer walks up to the blonde chick, a flirtatious smile on his face. She looks up at him — emphasis on "up" with their height difference — and smiles back.

"Hey," Lucifer greets her. "What's your name?"

"Jo," she says. "Jo Harvelle. You?"
"Lucifer."

Jo takes a step away, her expression becoming deadly. "Get the hell away from me," she growls.

"Aw, come on," he says. "I'm not all bad!"

"You got me killed," Jo says. "Sorry if I don't believe you."

"I don't remember killing you," Lucifer says. Sure, he's killed a lot of people, but he thinks he's remember seeing someone with looks like hers before.

"Your demon Meg sent her hellhounds at me," Jo tells him.

It takes Lucifer a minute to remember what she's talking about. "Ooh, yeah. Oops."

Jo makes a noise of disgust. "Screw you."

"If you want to," he says with a smirk.

"Lucifer, leave the girl alone," Michael commands him.

"Why would I listen to you?" Lucifer asks. "You're not my dad. Not that I'd listen to him, anyway."

"Well, you should," Michael replies. "He stuck us in here, and he could easily make this hell for you."

"Hell's preferable to this," Lucifer replies.

Michael sighs. "Just... Try to get along with people, and don't piss Dad off."

"Actually, I'm doing exactly what Dad wants us to do," Lucifer tells him. "And if you weren't such an idiot, you would know that."

"What are you talking about?"

"He said he was watching our whole argument, but he didn't come down until we started trying to kill each other. He doesn't want us to get along, he wants us to stay alive. We're his entertainment now."

"Say you're right," Michael replies. "Say Dad does want us to 'entertain him.' You're willingly doing what Dad wants us to do?"

Lucifer chuckles at his ignorance. "Uh, no. I'm doing what I want to do, which just happens to line up with what he wants. Not that you'd know how to do what you want, being the perfect soldier that Dad always wanted, who only did exactly what he was told. The concept of 'free will' wouldn't mean anything to you."

"And the concepts of 'obedience' and 'loyalty' mean nothing to you," Michael retorts.

"I don't need to be obedient. I ruled Hell! I don't answer to anybody."

"Emphasis on 'ruled,' past tense," Michael replies. "It didn't last. It was never going to. You lack all the qualities of a good ruler."

"Like you did any better in Heaven," Lucifer says sarcastically. "I ruled better in Hell from the cage than you did with free reign over Heaven. If it weren't for these Winchesters, I would have taken you out a long time ago."

"I swear, you two bicker like an old married couple," Bobby says, annoyed. "Get a room. Preferably one far enough away that I don't have to put up with you guys."

"Shut up," Lucifer snaps, throwing him into a wall just like he did with Gabriel not too long ago.

Gabriel sighs and walks over to the man, who fell to the floor after the impact. Gabriel reaches down to him, but Bobby hits his hand away.

"You get the hell away from me," Bobby growls.

Gabriel shrugs. "Sure thing. Hope you like your broken bones. You're gonna be stuck with 'em for a while."

Bobby glares at him, making Gabriel grin. He never really liked Bobby. At least, not to the extent he liked the Winchesters.

"He's basically your son in law," Lucifer observes. "Might want to stop hating him."

"How is he Bobby's son in law?" John asks. "Bobby doesn't have kids."

"Sam and Dean are more his kids than yours," Lucifer tells him.

"That's not true," John growls.

"How about we ask them?" Lucifer suggests, looking between the two Winchesters just as Sam returns to the room.

"Well?" John prompts when neither of them answer.

Lucifer grins. "See? Their parents are Ellen and Bobby now. Hell, even the angels knew it."

"Lucifer, enough!" Michael yells. "We're all stuck here. Try to get along before I decide I can't handle your bitching and I decide I will kill you, regardless of what Dad says."

Lucifer rolls his eyes. "Like I would ever try to befriend these guys," he says sarcastically. "They're almost as bad as you." Lucifer storms down the hallway, but not before flinging Michael into a wall as well.

Michael groans as he falls to the floor, but heals his vessel quickly and stands up. He looks down the hall, but Lucifer is already out of sight. Michael sighs. Being stuck with Lucifer is way harder when you have your sanity back.