Chapter 89

Lucifer finally does make it to Sam's room eventually. He finds the boy lying in bed with the lights out, presumably having given up on Lucifer showing up that night. He's certainly a bit later than he usually is, not that it's his fault.

Sam must hear the flap of wings, because he sits up. He gives Lucifer a small, tired smile, and Lucifer nods his head once in acknowledgement, neither of them speaking until Lucifer has put Sam to sleep and reappeared in his dream.

The author would write something about the dream, but she's at school and would feel awkward alluding to sex when people can see, so just assume they go back to that dream house and sleep together. Got it? Cool. Moving on

~~

Meanwhile, in Chuck's bar

Chuck sits back in the booth with a sigh. "What's up with these two?"

"What do you mean?" Amara asks, not quite sure which two he's talking about. Most people here seem to travel in pairs, so the number isn't very descriptive. 

Chuck doesn't seem to understand that she's asking for the names, because instead, he says, "What do they even do at night? I mean, they never talk to each other, but they're together all night, and I don't even know what to think about them anymore."

"Sam and Lucifer?" Amara guesses.

"Yeah. What do you think is going on with them, because I'm just confused."

Amara looks at them for a moment before saying, "I don't know."

"Whatever it is, it's probably more interesting than anything happening anywhere else," Chuck says bitterly. "No one actually does anything anymore. Even Sam and Gabriel are getting boring." He sighs, thinking of all the awkwardness that's not happening anymore. "I'll give everyone a week, and if nothing happens, I'll think of something to move things along. How does that sound?"

"Okay?" Amara says uncertainly. "You're the expert."

"That I am," he agrees. "That I am."

~~

Let's just go back to Sam's dream with Lucifer to fill up the chapter. The author doesn't really know what the dream is going to be about, but she needs to write something, so she's going to kill time with the dream and this one paragraph.

~~

"Where are we now?" Sam asks, looking around at all the white halls that all look exactly the same to his eyes.

"Heaven," Lucifer replies as if it's obvious. The guy's died a billion times. Has he really never seen the hallways of heaven?

"What? Why?"

"Because I'm running out of ideas," Lucifer replies. "So, I figure we could have some fun here. I'm gonna go out on a wing and say you don't like this place, either?"

Sam has to hide his smile at the phrase "go out on a wing" coming from an angel, instead just saying, "You would be right."

"Awesome. C'mon." Lucifer gestures for him to follow as they meander through the halls.

Sam keeps looking around as if this boring world of plain whiteness is actually intriguing, but Lucifer doesn't really care. Heaven is just how he remembers it — literally, because he had to recreate it from memory. It's been a few million years since he's really gotten a good look around the place, but he had a nice refresher of the place when he showed up to claim heaven in Castiel's vessel a couple years back — or a year? Has it really only been one year?

Lucifer leads Sam to the open field of heaven, purposely not recreating all the scorched wings in the grass that he discovered last time he was here. He doesn't want to raise questions, especially because he doesn't have the answers. He's still not sure how all those angels died, but it must have been an experience, to say the least, and part of him is disappointed he missed it. They may be his brothers that died, but any familial attachment he may have felt to them died when he fell.

"What are we doing here?" Sam asks him.

"Having some fun," Lucifer replies. With the flick of his hand, a loud booming noise sounds, and he watches with satisfaction as part of heaven explodes. "It's a nice stress reliever, really. Try it."

Sam hesitates, because he really isn't interested in being a Satan 2.0, but it's just a dream. What can it hurt?