Chapter 22

Castiel and Balthazar are chatting, so Dean decided to go talk to Sam and Gabriel a few minutes ago. He made no secret of his distrust of Gabriel, though, and the archangel decided he didn't want to intrude where he clearly wasn't welcome.

That was ten minutes ago, and for the last ten minutes, the majority of the guests at the bunker have been standing around in awkward silence. Michael and Gabriel have both been watching Lucifer, wanting to go up and talk to him but unsure how to approach him. As if he wasn't unapproachable enough by nature, he's been pissed off since he got here, and, especially with Michael, whom Lucifer hates, it's hard to decide whether to risk it.

Jo keeps looking over at her mother and Bobby, but they're talking to each other, and she doesn't want to interrupt them, in case their conversation isn't as innocent and child friendly as it seems — not that she's a child, of course. She refuses to wear that label.

She glances over at Michael. Maybe... She knows the Winchesters don't like him, or didn't a few years ago, but he doesn't seem that bad. And it's not like he's talking to anyone, either. But she doesn't want to be the one to approach him. She still isn't sure he's trustworthy. She knows what heaven was up to years ago, and he was at the head of the organization.

Benny looks over at Dean. He's really the only person he knows here, but he's talking to Sam, so Benny knows he can't talk to him. Sam despises him. The problem is, when he isn't talking to Sam, he's talking to the angel, and Benny can't interrupt that, either. It's obvious he would be third wheeling with them.

The problem with this set up, the lonely Kevin observes with his advanced-placement-level mind, is that everyone has already separated into groups. The only ones left alone are just waiting for an opportunity to jump in; one that doesn't seem to be about to rise anywhere. The only one who seems to be okay with making new friends is Charlie, but Kevin is beginning to understand that she's really up for anything. If only they'd been given the opportunity to meet new people, instead of just thrown in here together with preexisting cliques.

"Good idea, Kevin."

Everyone immediately stops talking — or, the few that had been talking — to find Chuck leaning against the table of the war room.

"What do you want?" Lucifer snaps.

"To move things along," Chuck replies, pretending not to notice the hostility in his angel's voice. "I was just going to throw some new people in, but Kevin had an idea — or, rather, I had an idea because of Kevin — so I'm going to do more than just add a couple people. Don't bother trying to stop it. I've got this whole thing on lockdown, and I will get my way, whether you want to cooperate or not." He flashes a smile, snaps his fingers, and the room is empty.

~~

Gabriel and Michael find themselves alone in one of the bedrooms. They look around, and their confusion only lasts a brief moment before they give up on questioning it. Chuck works in mysterious ways.

Gabriel walks over and flops down on the bed, throwing his wings off the edge effortlessly. "I've got to say, I'm surprised Dad didn't throw you and Lucifer together."

"Me too," Michael replies, wrapping his own wings around himself in a protective hug of sorts. "But maybe it's for the best. He clearly doesn't want to talk to me."

"I don't think he wants to talk to me, either," Gabriel says. "I don't think it's really a personal thing."

"Really? Because I don't see him trying to fight with you," Michael observes. "I mean, I don't want the apocalypse anymore, so why does he?"

"No clue," Gabriel replies. "Maybe he just wants to piss Dad off."

Michael sighs. "I hope that's all. I know, I may not be the most popular angel anymore, but I was at least hoping I would have you and Lucifer. And Raphael, of course, but he isn't here."

"I feel ya," Gabriel replies, propping his head up with his hand to look at his brother. "I mean, I didn't expect it or anything after everything I've done, but I hoped... But nope. I'm just little ol' deserting Gabe."

"I still love you," Michael tells him.

Gabriel smiles. "I still love you, too. So, we're cool, then? No hard feelings about me leaving you guys?"

"Not if you forgive my failed attempt at an apocalypse," Michael replies.

"Deal," Gabriel accepts immediately. "Now how do you think we can get Lucifer in on this deal?"

"I don't think we can," Michael replies sadly. "He clearly doesn't want to forgive us — or me, at least. It seems you and him are fine. Perhaps not friends, but fine nonetheless. I just wish I knew why he won't let us in; let us be friends again. I miss that."

"I might know," Gabriel says. He tells Michael what Sam told him; how Castiel let Lucifer up, and how he helped his father and then was abandoned when he was no longer useful. "I think he just doesn't want to go through that again. Or, a more plausible explanation, he wants to get back at Dad. I think that's the one we're sticking with, right?"

Michael nods in agreement. "Yes, that does sound like him. You really don't think there's anything we can do about it?"

"Nope. Just wait for him to get over it, and just hope to Dad no one gets killed in the process."