Chapter 104

Dean finds Gabriel in the war room, chatting with Castiel. For people with very different personalities, they get along really well. Usually, Dean would greet his angel with a quick kiss, but this time, he's more focused on the son of a bitch next to him.

"Hey, Deano!" Gabriel says with a grin. "Where'd you disappear to?"

"How long have you known?" Dean demands.

Gabriel's eyebrows draw together in confusion. "You're gonna have to be a little more specific. I've known a lot of things for a lot of different amounts of time."

"About Sam and Lucifer," Dean clarifies.

Gabriel lets out a long breath before answering, "Look, Dean, I get that you don't like him, but Sam does. If Lucifer makes him happy, then it's none of your business." He shrugs as if to say what can you do?

"Please. You hate it just as much as I do," Dean says, no doubt in his voice, despite having never heard Gabriel say that, which leaves him wondering just how transparent he is.

Gabriel scoffs. "No shit, Sherlock. Of course I do. I have since day one. But if Sam's happy, then it doesn't matter how anyone else feels about it. Besides, I think it's good for Lucifer. He's been a lot less confrontational lately."

"He hasn't been around lately, more like," Dean says.

"Exactly!" Gabriel agrees. "And it's not like Lucifer to not be around. I'm pinning that one on Sam. As much as I hate to admit it, what they have might actually be a healthy relationship that benefits them both, and something tells be they don't see that very often."

"Dude, they don't even think it's a healthy relationship," Dean tells him.

"What?"

"Yeah, I heard Lucifer tell him that," he says. "They don't think it's healthy, and they don't think it's gonna last."

Gabriel smiles at that, almost involuntarily, but quickly wipes the expression off his face. "Maybe, maybe not, but it's not up to us to end it. Either they break up on their own, or they don't. You don't get a say in that."

Dean clenches his teeth and doesn't respond. He knows Gabriel is right. They'll stay together as long as they want, and when they break up, it will be on them and only them. They're not going to let anyone near their relationship, anyway.

Castiel cocks his head to one side, almost like he's studying the archangel. "You still love him, don't you?"

Gabriel doesn't answer at first, looking at the floor. Finally, he just says, "It doesn't matter. That bridge is burned."

~~

Meanwhile, Chuck's bar

Chuck takes a swig of beer and sighs. "This is getting ridiculous."

"What is?" Amara asks.

"This!" He gestures to the screens they're watching the bunkers through. "Everyone's whining about every little thing."

"You have been, too," Amara reminds him. His commentary throughout the whole experience has been annoying, to say the least.

"No, I'm complaining about things that should be complained about," Chuck says. "They're just complaining, period."

Amara sighs. "If you say so. Let me guess. Now comes the point where you step in and 'save the day'?"

Chuck grins. "Oh, you know me so well."