Chapter 56

"How'd it go?" Michael asks Jo, as if Lucifer ignoring them isn't proof that their relationship didn't mend like Michael and Lucifer's relationship did, if theirs did get better at all. His brother did just give him the cold shoulder for seemingly no reason.

"It's Lucifer. Take a guess," she deadpans. He'd never guess it, of course, but she wouldn't want him to, anyway.

"Not well?" he guesses.

"Definitely not well," she replies.

"You could give him a chance," Michael suggests, mostly out of pity for his brother.

I did give him a chance.

She let him choose to think that it meant something. She allowed him the opportunity to make what happened between them something more than a simple way to pass the time. Maybe if he had been willing to give them a chance... Well, maybe they could have worked something out.

But it doesn't matter. He rejected the notion with cold sarcasm, and that's the end of that.

"I don't think he deserves a chance," she says finally.

Michael sighs. He could try to dissuade her, but why bother? It probably wouldn't last long, anyway. Lucifer doesn't seem to be ready for any type of relationship, with the possible exception of his friendship with Gabriel. That's just how it's got to be.

~~

Meanwhile, in the control center of the multiverse for the first time in over fifty chapters...

"That would be a no go on plan Michifer," Chuck announces.

Amara sighs and rejoins him at the Earth Monitor. "What happened now?"

"I honestly do not know," Chuck replies. "Lucifer just, like, ignored him."

"You could stick 'em in a room together again," Amara suggests.

Chuck shrugs. "Can't hurt."

~~

Back on Earth

Suddenly, Lucifer and Michael find themselves in a room together. Michael tries to open the door, but they were both decently sure it was locked, and they were right.

"So, Michael says," curious as to whether Lucifer will still talk to him. "How was your time with Jo?"

"Depends," he replies. "What'd she tell you?"

"That's irrelevant." If he knows Jo said it was horrible, he will, too, but right now, Michael wants to hear his thoughts, not hers repeated.

Lucifer shrugs. "Then I guess it was fine?"

"Okay, that's good," Michael replies.

"Yeah, I guess."

And silence.

~~

Meanwhile, Chuck and Amara

"They seem friendly enough," Amara observes.

"Shut your facehole," Chuck shushes her immediately. "I'm trying to eavesdrop here!"

~~

Meanwhile, Earth

"So, how about you and Jo?" Lucifer asks. "What's up with you two?"

Michael shrugs. "What do you want to know?"

He knows exactly what he wants to know, but he's not sure how to be subtle about it. Ah, whatever. Screw subtly.