Chapter 97

"K9, speak," Lucifer commands.

The metal dog is still, earning and frustrated groan.

"Whatever. I give up."

Lucifer pushes the hunk of metal over on the table and attempts to storm out of the room, only to realize Jack is still standing in the doorway. Lucifer rolls his eyes and tries to push him out of the way, but Jack just walks past him, approaching the robot on the table.

"It's not gonna do anything," Lucifer tells him. "You might as well leave it alone now."

Jack stands the dog up on its feet again, then takes a step back and looks at it. As much as Lucifer would like to walk away, he can't help but stay and watch what the boy is doing, because it almost seems like he has a plan.

"Almost" would be the keyword, it seems, because after a minute or so, Jack looks over at him and asks, "Why can't it move?"

"Because human technology sucks," Lucifer replies. "Doesn't matter. It's a piece of trash."

Jack tilts his head in confusion. "Why use human technology? You're not human."

"No, thank Dad about that," Lucifer mutters. He can't imagine being that limited in his powers for the entirety of his existence as some measly little human. "But sometimes it's nice to see what humans have to put up with to remind me how inferior they are."

"If a human couldn't do this, could you?" Jack asks.

Lucifer scoffs. "Of course I could make a robot talk. I'm a freaking archangel. That's like taking candy from a dead baby's corpse."

"Then do it." He doesn't say it as a challenge, but more just curious, hoping to see it happen.

Lucifer hesitates, then sighs. He doesn't care about pleasing the kid, but he does enjoy showing off. He walks over to the table and points back at the doorway. "Fine. Go stand over there so if it blows up, you're out of the blast range."

"In case it blows up?" Jack repeats.

"Yeah, if I overshoot how much life it needs, the metal might not hold. Screws are nothing against my power." Lucifer shrugs. "Live and learn, ya know? Now go, shoo, over there." He pushes Jack away, and the boy obediently stands in the doorway.

If Lucifer has been an actual scientist doing an experiment like this, he would probably be wearing safety goggles, if not a full face shield. But he's too confident in himself for that, and instead does it barefaced. Any scratches he may get could be healed easily, anyway.

He puts a hand on the robot's back, and it begins to glow. The light spreads throughout the entire metal body, until finally, he's glowing entirely. Lucifer takes his hand away, and the dog returns to its original gray coloring.

"K9, speak," Lucifer commands.

The dog looks up at him, a slight whirring sound from the gears in his neck, soft enough that it probably couldn't be heard by a human's ears.

"Hello!" He may look like a robot, but his voice is very much humanlike. He sounds almost like a kid, with his high pitched, squeaky voice.

Lucifer grins proudly and looks back at Jack. "See? I can do anything."

Jack tilts his head to the side slightly as he looks at the dog. Finally, he says, "So its name is K9?"

"Yes, it is. Do you have a problem with that?"

"No, no problem," Jack replies, and unlike the majority of people he speaks to, he doesn't say it as one would if they were rushing the defend themselves. He just answers it like any other question. "Is it a boy or a girl?"