Chapter 45

"How do you crack an egg?" Sam asks, exasperated.

"Well, first off, you don't smash it," Jess tells him, taking the egg from him with an amused smile. She tosses what little of it that remains in the trash. After washing their hands, Jess says, "Here, I'll do it." She takes another egg and expertly cracks in on a small glass bowl, then dumps it into the brownie mix. "It says we need three. Want to try this time?"

Sam takes another egg and taps it lightly on the glass bowl, but it doesn't even crack. He taps it a little harder, but nothing happens. He taps it even harder, and the entire egg practically explodes, leaving raw egg all over the counter.

"So, uh, maybe you should do the eggs..." he says awkwardly.

Jess shakes her head at the boy, amused. After cleaning up Sam's mess with him, she cracks the other two eggs and begins stirring the batter so Sam won't sent little bits of it flying when he finishes it.

As the first batch bakes, they make a second, and then a third, which seems like overkill until you remember that there are ten humans celebrating Christmas the next day, one of which being Dean, who would eat an entire batch at once, no problem.

Over on the fudge front, Charlie's licking her fingers clean after pouring the fudge in the pan to let it cool and dry. "Who wants leftover fudge batter stuff? Get it while it's warm!"

Instantly, Dean is by her side, and he eats the majority of what remains on the edges of the pan she mixed it in before anyone else gets a chance.

"Dean!" Sam complains. "You just..." He sighs. "Great. Thanks."

"I'll make more!" Charlie offers, though it's mostly because she just wants more fudge for herself.

"I think that's enough chocolate chips," Mary warns her son after he finishes eating the fudge.

"No such thing," Dean replies, doubling the amount of chocolate chips that belong in the cookies. "Perfect!" He scoops out a spoonful and tastes it. "Delicious, as always."

"Dean, don't eat the batter!"

"But it's so goood!" he insists. "Seriously, try some! I swear, it gets better every time!"

When she doesn't, Dean hands her a different spoon full of batter. She sighs and takes it, just tasting a little bit. Her eyes widen slightly, a smile on her lips as she chews it.

"I think you make these better than me," she tells him before finishing the spoonful.

"It was a group effort," Dean replies, but he wears a proud smile anyway.

He looks just like he did when they last made cookies together, when he was four, Mary observes. It's kind of sweet to see that that Dean is still here, even after such a screwed up childhood — and adulthood, for that matter.

"Hey, Sam," Jess nudges him gently.

He looks down at her expectantly. Jess scoops out some brownie batter with her finger and licks it off. Sam does the same, and they spend the next few minutes cleaning out what little remains of the pan.

"I want more," Jess whines when they finish.

"Jokes on you: I've got more," Sam replies.

"What?"

Sam licks her nose, which had some brownie batter on it. She giggles and wipes her face with her hand in case there's any batter left. She stands on her toes to give him a quick kiss, not to be cute but just because the author doesn't know what else to write for this chapter, but it's really only half a chapter, and the entire thing was a train wreck and basically I'm just gonna end it here and hope the next chapter is better.