Chapter 13

Samandriel keeps his gaze down the hall, willing Michael and Gabriel to hurry up. He continues to tell Adam it will be okay, and it likely will. Though Samandriel pities the boy beyond belief, he doesn't expect it to leave any permanent problems except demolishing his mental health even further.

Samandriel can't stop wondering about Gabriel. Why is he here? He left them. He left Heaven, he left the angels, he left everyone. At what point did he jump back in the game? He must have, to have been invited to the Winchester reunion. When did he show up, whether to help of hurt, and why didn't Heaven tell the angels?

Samandriel sees the two archangels as they appear, walking swiftly towards them. Gabriel looks down at Adam sympathetically.

"Oh, poor kid," he mutters, so quietly Samandriel wouldn't have heard him if he wasn't crouching in front of the angel and Adam.

Gabriel outs two fingers to Adan's forehead, and he's suddenly healed. Adam looks at Gabriel and whimpers, moving closer to Samandriel because he can't get farther away from Gabriel.

"Hey, it's okay," Samandriel coos. "It's okay. Adam, this is Gabriel. He's not going to hurt you. He's a good angel." Samandriel isn't sure about the last one, but he figured he'd say it to reassure Adam.

Adam's gaze lingers on Gabriel for a moment longer as he processes what Samandriel said, then decides to accept it. He's about to relax when his gaze lands on Michael, and he begins freaking out.

"What's wrong with him?" Gabriel asks.

"Well, the cage was not a pleasant experience," Samandriel tells him. "Especially alone with two archangels."

Gabriel's eyes widen when he realizes what Samandriel means. He turn to face Michael, who wears an unconcerned but curious expression.

"You, Lucifer, and Adam?" Gabriel repeats.

Michael nods. "Yes."

"How long?"

"Six earth years," Michael replies.

Gabriel sighs. "No wonder the kid is so messed up."

"Get him away," Adam whispers to Samandriel. "Make him go away."

"It's okay," Samandriel repeats. "Michael won't hurt you."

"But L-L-he did," Adam replies with obvious fear in his eyes. "You told me he wouldn't."

"I know. I was wrong. Lucifer isn't Michael, though. Michael wouldn't hurt you."

"He did," Adam says softly. "He hurt me."

"But that's over," Samandriel assures him. "He won't hurt you again. Right, Michael?"

Michael nods once. "No. Not without just cause."

Adam whimpers at that. Samandriel sighs.

"Michael, you were just supposed to say 'yes.'"

"Oh. Then yes."

Gabriel chuckles. "You're as bad at this as Cas."

"No one is as bad at this as Cas," Michael replies.

"What am I bad at?" Castiel asks, walking through the halls with Sam, Dean, Ellen, and Jo.

"Being social," Gabriel replies.

"Oh, yes, that's true."

Adam whimpers quietly when he sees the approaching people, and Samandriel attempts to calm him.

"What's his problem?" Castiel asks.

"I don't know," Samandriel replies. "Maybe the number of people?"

"Don't let him hurt me," Adam whispers.

"Who?" Samandriel asks.

"Castiel."

"Why would Castiel hurt you?" Samandriel asks, confused. Has Castiel hurt him before?

"He hurts people," Adam replies quietly. "He hurt Dean, he killed you..."

"He hurt Dean?" Ellen repeats. "I thought you guys were best friends."

"Yes, when did I hurt Dean?" Castiel asks.

"When — when..." Adam shakes his head and buried it in Samandriel's shirt again.

"When I ran away to try to say 'yes' to Michael," Dean finishes.

"Oh," Castiel replies, not bothering to justify his actions.

"You were going to say 'yes'?" Michael repeats.

Dean looks at him, just noticing he's here. "I was. I didn't. The end."

"When?"

"Just before I killed Zachariah," Dean replies, fondly remembering that moment. And, of course, he wants to bring up the death of Heaven's angels to annoy this dick.

"Ah, yes. That was... Unfortunate."

"I thought it was fan-freaking-tastic if you ask me," Dean replies with a smirk.

"I didn't ask you," Michael replies.

"S-Sam?" Adam stammers, looking up at the boy.

"Yeah?" Sam replies.

"D-did you and Dean try to rescue me from Hell?"

Sam and Dean exchange a look, and it's clear even when Sam says "Of course we did" that they never did. Adam lets another tear fall as he buries his face in Samandriel's shoulder once again. Samandriel isn't one to get angry much, but he's definitely angry now. They just left him there? They never even tried to save him? At all? How could they leave him there? He's their brother!

"I think you guys should go," Samandriel suggests, trying to keep any traces of anger from his voice to avoid frightening Adam any more.

"Probably," Dean agrees.

Sam hesitates, looking down at Adam. "I'm sorry, kid," he says before everyone leaves, and Samandriel is stuck sweeping up their mess. He doesn't mind, though. He may not have done a lot of good up in Heaven, but he has a chance to do something good now. If he can fix this boy, he'll consider it a job well done.