Chapter 105

The rest of the night is fairly uneventful. People go to sleep, Lucifer pops into Sam's dream, and overall, it's just chill. Lucifer goes back to the war room with Sam the next morning, K9 trailing behind them, forgotten. The dog doesn't mind, though. They can watch their masters silently and still feel joy at the sight.

Everyone else trickles into the war room eventually. Gabriel has to keep calling Dean's attention back to their conversation every time he starts glaring at Lucifer, and though Dean knows he should just ignore them, he can't.

Eventually, Chuck pops in, his presence getting everyone's attention easily. "Hey, guys."

Dean rolls his eyes. "What do you want now?"

"I just want to clear a few things up," he says, then amends, "Well, I wanna clear one thing up, actually. I thought you guys all knew, but it came up again yesterday, and apparently you don't. I didn't 'remove' Jess and Kali from the bunker."

"Then what did you do?" Samandriel asks cautiously. It's clear he's beginning to think the faith he had in his father was misplaced — everyone is expecting him to say he killed them, and none of them want to accept that.

"I didn't do anything to them," Chuck says. "Lucifer killed them."

Lucifer balls his hands into fists but tries not to react. Maybe if he pretends it's not true, they'll believe him. Sure, it's not like Chuck to lie about something like this, but it's not like him not to freak out over it if it was true.

"What?" Sam looks over at Lucifer. "What's he talking about?"

"How would I know?" Lucifer counters. "He's a liar. Lying is what he does."

Sam hesitates, but accepts that, and turns his attention back to Chuck. "I don't know what you're trying to accomplish—"

"I'm just telling you the truth," Chuck says. "If you don't want to believe it, that's up to you. Just think about this for a second. No one else heard you screaming in your room. It's almost like someone soundproofed it, like Gabriel used to do, but Gabriel obviously wasn't in the right state of mind for that, so it wasn't him. I guess that begs the question, how did Lucifer know what was going on?" With that, Chuck disappears, leaving them to talk it out alone.

Sam just stares at spot Chuck used to stand in. Finally, he turns back to Lucifer. "Tell me it's not true. Tell me you had nothing to do with it. Tell me there was some other way you figured it out."

Lucifer sighs. He wants to lie, to say he had nothing to do with it, and he knows he could. He's good at thinking of lies. But if Chuck was so adamant that they know that he decided to come down and tell them himself, he's not going to give up. Lucifer could either come clean now and hope for forgiveness, or he could lie, knowing there's a chance Sam wouldn't believe it, and knowing the truth would come out eventually and ruin everything.

Finally, he says, "I'm so, so sorry. Chuck made me do it. He wanted them out of the picture, and he made me take care of it for him."

"That's bullshit," Sam snaps. "He didn't make you do anything. You tell him no all the time."

"Yeah, but —"

"Did he tell you how?" Sam interrupts. "Did he tell you how he wanted you to kill them? Or was that all you? Whose idea was it to make me watch her die again?"

"Sam—"

Sam doesn't let him finish his answer. He already knows that if it was something he wanted to hear, Lucifer wouldn't have skirted around his answer, and that's what he was doing. He wouldn't lie — not really. He would just bend the truth so it almost seems like it's not his fault, but it is, and Sam isn't going to let him work his way out of this one. Not this time.

"You know what? Just... leave."

"Sam—" Lucifer tries again.

"I said leave!"

Lucifer hesitates, but he knows it's over, so without another word, he disappears.

"Sam?" K9 says quietly.

"Get the hell away from me, you stupid metal box," Sam growls.

K9 just looks at him, then trots away.

Dean takes a step toward him. "Hey, Sam—"

"You too," Sam snaps. "I don't want to deal with the I-told-you-sos."

"I wasn't —" Dean doesn't finish that sentence, because Sam storms out of the room. Under his breath, he mutters, "I wasn't going to say that."

"Gabriel?" Michael flies to his side, crouching on the ground next to him. At some point in all this, Gabriel had slid his back down the wall until he was sitting with his knees to his chest, just staring into space. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Gabriel says, but he sounds very detached.

"Why don't I believe that?"

"Oh, I don't know," he says. "It could be because it's not true."

Michael nods once to himself. Well, yes, that's probably it. "What's wrong?"

"I just — I feel like I should have known," Gabriel says. "Chuck is too quick for that, too organized, but Lucifer... when he doesn't like someone, he's worse than I am, and he wasn't very happy with me at the time, and he just didn't like Sam in general. Of course he was going to make it hurt — to make it hurt for all of us." Gabriel sighs. "But there's no point in thinking about that now. What's past is past."

"Are you sure you're okay?" Michael asks.

"No, but I am sure there's nothing you can do to make me feel like less of an idiot," Gabriel replies. "Just... someone go check on Lucifer and make sure he isn't killing anyone — again."