Chapter 82

Gabriel's lost in his thoughts when he hears Dean of all people call his name.

"You look like your cat just died," he adds with a smirk.

"Not in the mood," Gabriel growls.

"You haven't been 'in the mood' for, like, three days," Dean replies, rolling his eyes.

"And?"

"And you're dragging the whole room down. C'mon." Dean gestures for him to join him and Castiel.

Gabriel scoffs. "You're joking."

"Alright, not quite the answer I was looking for."

"Aren't you supposed to hate me?" Gabriel asks.

"Oh, trust me, I don't like you," Dean tells him. "But you've just been sitting there for three days straight and it's kind of disconcerting, so, like, come mingle."

Gabriel eyes him suspiciously for a moment, then walks up to him, standing an extra few feet back. Dean rolls his eyes and pulls him slightly closer so he's at a normal distance.

"So, we talking about anything specific, or...?" Gabriel asks.

"No, not really," Dean replies.

"Great," Gabriel deadpans. "If you two make me listen to you being all lovey-dovey, I'm out of here. Just throwing that out there."

"We're not all lovey-dovey," Dean protests indignantly.

"You're joking. You two flirt with each other more than you flirt with death, and that's sayin' something."

"Like you and Kali were any better," Dean says sarcastically.

Gabriel wants to tell him not to bring her up, but that can only end in him mentioning her more, so instead, he brushes that off and says, "Maybe, but we never dragged you into it. You two can go eye fuck all you want. Just leave me out of it."

Dean opens his mouth to say something, probably to refute that, but then closes it, conceding, "Yeah, that's fair. As long as you don't go all Trickster on us, we're all good."

"But I'm the Trickster," Gabriel protests. "Tricking people is my thing."

"Maybe that's why you're always alone," Dean suggests. "No one wants to put up with your tricks."

"Everyone loves my tricks," Gabriel says confidently.

"I can guarantee you that nobody in this room would agree with that," Dean replies.

"Maybe not, but they know it on the inside, and that's what counts."

~~

Jo and Michael watch Gabriel and Dean — and Castiel, but he doesn't say much — for a few minutes. Jo is just waiting for the drama to start. Nothing good can come from a hunter and a trickster together. Sam may have been able to deal with it, but Dean is a different story.

"It's nice that Gabriel's finally getting along with people," Michael says.

"Mm," Jo agrees.

"Maybe Lucifer will be next," Michael adds hopefully. It would be nice if both of his brothers could learn to become functioning members of society.

"Well, he already has Sam," Jo reminds him. "God knows why Sam would put himself through that, but he is."

"I'm not quite sure what to think of the two of them," Michael replies. "It might just be Sam's way of trying to bring everyone together. He seems to be the mediator between humans and the rest of us."

"What do you mean?" Jo asks.

"There's really no one here he won't talk to. I'm sure it's as likely that he'll talk to me as it is his own parents. It's really no surprise he's willing to talk to Lucifer. If anyone would be willing and able to get everyone to stop fighting here, it would be him."

Jo nods in agreement. "Yeah, I didn't really think of that. Maybe that's what we should be doing. Sure, there are a few grudges we'd have to get past, but I think if we could get Dean to cooperate, everyone could be friends eventually."

"I don't think Lucifer would want to cooperate, either," Michael says. "Or John, Bobby, and your mom where Lucifer's concerned — and maybe me, too."

"Dean is talking to Gabriel," Jo reminds him. "At this point, nothing's impossible."