Chapter 65

"Are you sure leaving him was a good idea?" Jo asks for the twentieth time.

"He asked us to," Michael reminds her. "He wants to be alone. And, I mean, can you blame him? His girlfriend just died. He probably doesn't want to talk to anyone."

"But we can't leave him all alone," she protests. "I mean, we should at least go check on him, make sure he's okay."

"He's not okay," Michael replies. "I thought that was obvious. But there's nothing we can do but listen to him, and he told us to go."

"But what if something happens? Either by his hand or someone else's?"

"What's the worst that could happen, anyway?" Michael asks. "He can't..." he trails off. He was going to say Gabriel couldn't die, but now, he's not so sure about that.

Jo just gives him an I-told-you-so look.

Michael sighs. "Fine. Let's go check on Gabriel."

~~

He's in the same place as before, just staring at Kali's head. Michael and Jo share a look, unsure what to do. They see him; they know he's still alive. Now do they comfort him? And if so, how?

"I told you to go away," Gabriel mumbles.

"I know, I just..." Michael looks to Jo, but she doesn't help, so he has to wing it. "We just wanted to make sure you were okay. It's been a while. You might want to... do something..."

"Like what?" Gabriel asks hopelessly, turning around to face them. "What is there for me here without her?"

Michael looks around hopelessly, finally settling on, "You could go find Lucifer. He never has anyone to talk to, either."

Gabriel barks a laugh, but there's no humor in it. "Yeah, right." He turns back to Kali's head. "I just... I want to be alone right now. Please."

Michael sighs. "Very well. If you need anything..." He doesn't finish the sentence, because he's not really sure what to finish it with. He's sure Gabriel gets the gist, anyway. Instead, he leads Jo away, and they return to her bedroom. "That went well," he says sarcastically.

"Bite me," she replies out of habit before remembering that this is Michael, her boyfriend, and she probably shouldn't talk to him like that. "Sorry. It's late and I'm tired and I'm just gonna go to bed."

"Alright, I'll go..." Where will he go? Where did everyone else go?

"Or you could stay here," Jo suggests. "You know, if you want."

He smiles slightly at that. "Alright, I'll do that."

They snuggle up in bed together, and Michael puts his arm over her, holding her close. She lets out a content noise as she drifts off to sleep, safe in her angel's arms.