Chapter 18

"What was Lucifer talking about earlier?" Mary asks after a few minutes. Michael has already returned, so it seems likely that Lucifer won't, and there's no danger in talking.

"A lot of things," Dean replies.

"He mentioned Samuel and Deanna," Mary recalls. "Who were they?"

"Your parents," Dean tells her. He knows that if he doesn't, Lucifer will find out and he will tell her instead.

"But he said you got them killed. You weren't there."

"I was," Dean replies. "Michael erased the memory later."

"What?" Mary says in surprise. "Why?"

"To make sure you died in Sam's nursery," Dean answers.

"What are you talking about?"

"Ooh, I love this story!" Lucifer says excitedly as he bounds into the room, Gabriel not far behind him. Dean groans when he sees the older angel, who only laughs at him.

Gabriel walks up to Sam, returning to his spot from earlier. Sam is about to ask him what happened, but Gabriel shakes his head slightly, indicating for him to stop. Gabriel will probably tell him later, but he'd rather keep it between them and avoid any eavesdroppers.

"Lucifer, shut up," Dean says.

"Lucifer, don't shut up," Mary says.

"So many choices!" Lucifer says jokingly.

"Mom!" Dean says in surprise, ignoring the archangel.

"It looks like that's the only way I'll get the full truth," Mary says with a shrug. "Anyway, you were saying?"

"Right," Dean says, but he's suddenly less excited to tell the story, which he didn't even know was possible. It's not because he was going to lie to his mom, but because he can't tell her everything. That would take too long. Now Lucifer is going to make sure that she knows every bad thing that happens.

"So, back when he worked for Heaven, Cas sent me back in time to try to stop you from dying," Dean begins. "I found Dad, and I convinced him not to get that ridiculous van."

That gets a slight chuckle from John as he remembers the car he was going to buy.

"Then I found you and Dad and you jumped me, and that's when I realized you were a hunter. Your bracelet. So I went to your house and met your parents, used Dad's journal to get help from you and Samuel, and we tried to stop Yellow Eyes. He possessed Samuel, who stabbed himself to kill your dad, and he killed Deanna."

"And John!" Lucifer adds.

"I'm getting there," Dean snaps, though he really wasn't. "Anyway, I found you where John took you and Yellow Eyes was already there. He picked up your scent on a hunt earlier. He killed John, and you know the rest. I got there too late to stop it."

"I died?" John repeats.

"Yes, sir," Dean replies.

"And I made a deal with Azazel to bring you back," Mary adds. "I didn't realize it at the time, but he was going after Sam."

"Oh my god, guys," John groans, processing everything he's been told today.

"Besides, it's not like that's the only bad thing that happened to you when Dean got sent back in time," Lucifer adds.

"What are you talking about?" John asks.

"Dammit, Lucifer! That's not even the same story!" Dean yells.