23. Closing In

Present

Present

The moment Caitlin's eyes laid on me, she tensed up. As I step into the room, she sits up farther, her hands still shackled together as she watches me carefully, not saying a single thing. I didn't expect her to say anything, but the silence in the room was awkward yet creepy. I was used to things like this now, but this time it was different. This time, I knew Caitlin from a different perspective.

"Let me go," she says to me then, her eyes stone cold. I could tell that she was terrified though.

I sigh as I cross my arms. "He didn't take you to hurt you."

"I assumed after hearing you and him talk," she breathes, her eyes distant. I knew for a fact that she didn't like him like that anymore, and I could tell that she was trying to let that settle. "Why...why are you keeping me here?"

"I'm not keeping you here," I say, pacing. "That's all Jay, so no hard feelings."

Caitlin leans forwards, her eyes on my own. "Why are you with him? You're better than this, Raven. Please, if you don't want to keep me here, just let me go-"

"I said that I didn't want to hurt you, so stop giving me reasons to," I state, causing her to lean back with her eyes wide, terrified.

She sits there in silence as I watch her, trying to find the right words on what to ask her. I take a deep breath as I walk over and pull out a chair from the corner, sitting in it backwards as I lay my arms up on the top of the chair, letting them dangle.

I say what I wanted to say quickly, not sure of any other way to put it. "Do you love him?"

Caitlin's face wrinkles up, shaking her head violently. "You're kidding, right? Why are you asking me that?"

"I'm asking you because I know you don't," I state the obvious. "I'm just telling you now that that's what's going to get you killed. Jay doesn't want to hurt you...I know that much. But he doesn't take rejection lightly, so I advise to not do anything stupid."

She shakes her head. "So you're telling me to play the part? To act like I do love him?"

"I'm telling you that if you want to live, then yes, you have to play the part and make it believable," I breathe, raising an eyebrow. "If you don't...I don't think I could even help you."

Caitlin gulps, trying to swallow all of this. I could tell behind her eyes that she wanted to throw up; the idea of even pretending to love him making her stomach grow sick. I wasn't sure why I was helping her...in all honesty, I couldn't care less about what happened to her. I knew I was only helping her because she was Barry's friend...he'd never forgive himself if Hunter killed her. It was my responsibility to keep her safe for him.

I stand up slowly then, throwing the chair back to it's corner. Caitlin tenses up again as I walk over to her, reaching my hand out to her shackles, buzzing softly to where it breaks the chain. She grabs her wrists as I back away, noticing her plate of un-eaten food on the foot of her bed .