29. Numb

9 years ago

9 years ago

It felt amazing to finally be out again; to be back by Jay's side. It was odd however for me that he let me back out again after such a short amount of time, especially since it was only yesterday that he told me I needed to rest up, but I wasn't going to complain of course. I missed this.

"I said hands above your head!" I scream as I look down at a man trembling in fear, a little boy that I assumed was his wrapping his arms around his father. It reminds me for a moment about my own parents, but I quickly push the memory away. "Don't move, got it?"

The man nods carefully as I narrow my eyes, turning around and looking back over my shoulder for Jay. He had thought that a simple task as robbing a bank would help get me back up to speed, so we were doing things the old fashioned way. Instead of racing in and out like what we usually did, he wanted to show me how to defend myself without using my speed, just in case I did happen to lose it at a not so good time.

So while he loaded the bags up with cash, I stood outside the vault and kept my eyes on the captives, making sure they didn't do something they'd regret. If they did, they'd have to deal with me, and then most likely didn't want that.

"Any day now!" I shout to Jay, wishing he would speed things along. I knew the police would be here soon, and I wasn't all that worried about them, but I was trying to see how long I could go without using my speed. I wanted to prove to Jay that I could do this on my own.

I hear him grumble slightly under his breath as I make a circle, making sure everyone was keeping their hands above their heads. It was then I turned and caught a young woman sitting there with her hand in her pocket, causing me to narrow my eyes as I walked over towards her. She notices me then and freezes, eyes wide in fear.

"Whatcha got there?" I say, a little too chipper for my taste. She doesn't say a word as I frown, using my gravity abilities to pull the object out from her pocket, letting it fly right into the palm of my hand.

When I pull the object down to figure out what it was, I was confused. It was something that I've never seen before; something that reminded me of something Harrison Wells would make. It looked like an ordinary ring, but instead of having a jewel as the center piece, it was some sort of glowing blue stone that didn't look normal to me.

"First time I've seen something like this before," I say as I slip the ring on my finger, holding it out while I admire the blue stone on my hand.

She flinches forwards but soon stops herself. "Please, I need that-"

"Bummer," I say, expressing the B as I lift my chin in a cocky manner. "Should have thought about that before reaching into your pocket."

"No, you don't understand," she breathes heavily then, her eyes warning me of something, but I wasn't afraid. "I need that back."