41. Irreplaceable

Present

Present

"Barry," I quickly say as I grab the speaker that went to his coms. "Don't say anything about me. Pretend that I'm dead or dying, okay? I have a plan. Just trust me on this."

Cisco and the others stare at me for a moment as I lower the speaker, my eyes looking back up to the screen where we were seeing everything that Barry was seeing. He didn't reply to my message, but I prayed that he got it. I hoped that he wouldn't say or do anything stupid and blow this. This is the one advantage we had over Hunter.

Suddenly, the blur on the screen turns into the CCPD, Barry's lab to be exact. For a moment, my eyes have to adjust on the screen since it was so dark, but after they focus in, I see the one person that I hated more than myself standing in the far corner...Hunter.

The view on the screen freezes for a moment, but I knew it was only because Barry was frozen still. I was sure he was feeling the same thing I was...but I just prayed that he'd keep his mouth shut about me. I wanted this backup plan to work, and for it to work, I had to be considered dead, at least to him.

"You know, I never saw the crime photos of my mother's murder," Hunter says as he stares at something, but I wasn't sure what exactly. It was too dark to tell. "Then again, I guess I didn't need to...not just a hologram, are you flash?"

I bite my tongue as I wait for Barry's reply, and I just wished that I could see the look on his face right now so I could at least get a sense of what he wanted to say. "I know you didn't just call me up here to banter. Let's finish this."

"Actually, I did. I called you up here to tell you that you can't keep running from one meta to the next...and that you can't save her," he says then, finishing coldly. I hold my breath as I dig my nails into the palm of my hand, trying to keep myself together as I watched the scene unfold. "What I did to her is incurable...not even your little team can fix it."

Barry takes a moment before he can speak, but he continues to play the part. "Why...why are you doing this to her? Isn't she the one who helped you get to where you are now?"

"She was," he fades out, making me shake my head. I knew whatever he was going to say next was going to push me over the edge, and I was right. "She helped me every step of the way...but she was weak. You were her weakness, Barry Allen...flash. You were what ruined her."

"So after everything you two went through, you just end it like that?" Barry continues as he walks closer slowly, a hint of pain in his voice as he yells. "After saving her life, you decided to take it...just in the blink of an eye?"

Hunter nods his head, holding his ground. "There's no place for her in this world. She made her choice, and that choice wasn't me. Consider me doing her a favor-"

"A favor?" Barry screams, I could tell that he was about to unleash all of his anger towards him. "You took away her character, her freedom, her life, and just because she makes her own damn choice once, you decide that you have the right to take it all away from her?"