42. Broken Ties

8 years ago

8 years ago

Silence. That's all that I gave to Jay for the past week. When he tried to strike up a conversation, I avoided it. When he sat down at the diner table to eat, I took my food to my room. When he tried so hard to get me to say anything, I held my tongue.

It wasn't like I had nothing to say, because I had plenty I wanted to get off of my chest. I kept quiet because I knew that it would slowly start to drive him mad. I was the only person who knew his identity...who really knew him, and not being able to talk to someone as his full self was bound to start getting to him.

Plus, I was all that he had left that did care about him. I hoped that him losing that would make him come to his senses.

And eventually, it did. The silent stares, the never-ending privacy, and the wistful movements finally got under his skin. I was just finishing the burger I had gotten from Big Belly Burger in my room when he flashes through the door, locking it behind him.

Finally, I speak. "You do know I can phase right through that, right?"

He looked angry, but not at me...at himself. "Finally, she speaks."

I give him a pathetic look before I look back down at my burger, taking another bite and chewing in silence. My eyes drift away from him, pretending as if he wasn't even there in the first place. For awhile, we bask in each other's presence before he finally speaks, sounding almost annoyed now.

"When's this stupid little joke of yours going to end?" he asks me first, waiting for an answer, but I continue to munch away at my burger, snagging some fries as well that I had lying there. "Seriously Raven, grow up."

I puff out my bottom lip then as I look, cocking my head. "Me, grow up? You're seriously telling me that? If you want me to grow up so damn bad, then maybe you should try letting me do things on my own for a change."

He starts to say something, but soon stops himself. His facial expression changes slightly. "You can't still be mad about what happened with Caitlin-"

"I had things under control. I just wanted to show you that I could come up with my own ideas and take matters into my own hands sometimes. I wanted her to die..I want her to die." I pause for a moment, clenching my teeth. "But just because a new idea comes along and I start to grow some independence, you have to take the situation away from me. Why is that, Jay? Why do you claim so much damn ownership over me? Is it because I'm just another Caitlin Snow that you like to play around with to do your dirty work?"

For a moment, I wasn't sure that I even said that last part. I was surprised to hear it come out of my mouth. I guess I was just so outraged and curious to know if what I said was the truth; if I was just another chess piece on his board. A part of me knew that I wasn't, but the other sensed that there was some truth behind the idea.