Chapter III

Chapter III:

A Summer's Ball

Theodosia liked wearing green very much. Her mother loved the color. Theo was never a fan of it until her mother passed. Her hands ran down her dress as far as they could as she stared at herself in the mirror. Aaron appeared in the reflection of the mirror, taking his daughter's hand gently in his own. "You look beautiful... just like your mother." He told her kindly.

"She was a beautiful woman." Theo agreed, taking her father's arm. President Washington had invited her and her father to A Summer's Ball. She didn't like balls, but once she arrived, it wasn't the worst place in the world. As the two stepped into the carriage that was taking them to the ball, she couldn't help but let her mind wander to Philip. Was he invited? If so, was he attending? She had hoped so. They had been writing back and forth constantly for a week, unable to see each other since their reunion. She had missed seeing him.

   As they arrived, Theodosia got nervous, which was strange, because she almost always was overflowing with confidence. She was nervous she was going to see Philip tonight. Or that she wasn't going to see him? She wasn't quite sure. Her father helped her out of the carriage before the two linked arms and entered the ball. Immediately, her eyes began scanning the crowd in search for her friend. "Burr, hello." Theo and her father now stood in the President's presence. "Theodosia, it's lovely to see you again."

   "And the same to you, Mr. President. Thank you for inviting us." Theo curtsied for the man before she caught a glimpse of curly hair bouncing around, which got her hopes up. "If you'll excuse me." Theodosia left the two men and turned a corner hard before running right into someone. "Oh goodness! I'm so sorry, I should really watch where I'm going."

   "Theodosia Burr!" The woman squealed. Theo immediately recognized her mother's best friend. "Look at you! So grown up! You look wonderful." Eliza Hamilton engulfed the young woman in a large, motherly hug.

   "Mrs. Hamilton! Hi!" Theo gladly hugged the kind woman back. "Thank you, you're too kind." The two held each other's hands as two men appeared near them. One being Alexander Hamilton, the other, his son, Philip. "Mr. Hamilton, Philip, hello."

   "Hello, Miss. Burr. Pleasure to see you again."

   "Likewise."

   "Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to steal my wife and go dance with her." Alexander took his wife's hand as the two went off, smiling and giggling, leaving Philip and Theo alone.

   Philip couldn't find words as he looked at his friend. In that moment, she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. Her eyes looked darker, almost like she was wearing makeup. Her hair was mostly pulled back, except for a few strand which she purposely let fall free. The green dress was so flattering to her. "You look—"

   "Oh stop, please." Theo said, already blushing deeply, turning her gaze to the ground.

  "—beautiful. Extremely beautiful." Philip finished anyway. He had never been so drawn to anyone more than he had in that moment right there. There was no way she was that beautiful at ten years old and he didn't take notice. He took her hand and placed a soft kiss on it respectfully.

   "Since when did you become a gentleman?" Theodosia joked as the pair walked away from the ball and through the long halls of the home.