Chapter XXI:

Chapter XXI:

Joseph Alston

Theodosia sat in her room, at her desk, writing on a piece of parchment one night in November. The wrote quickly from one side of the page to the other. The letter was for her love, Philip. She was very worried and needed to tell him something urgently.

My love, Philip,

I'm sorry to say that this is not a happy letter. I'm very worried about what my father has been up to the past couple days. He's been asking me of my opinion of courting? He's also been talking a lot of a Joseph Alston. I'm nervous if those two things are connected in some sort of way. I don't want to marry anyone but you. I won't marry anyone but you.

I'm sorry if this has worried you. I just needed to tell someone what was going on. I hate being cooped up in this dreadful house. I just want to see you and get my mind off of this whole mess. I'm probably being ridiculous, you know how I am, blowing things out of proportion. Stop by soon. I miss you very much.

All my love,
Theodosia Burr

Theo folded her letter up, scribbling an address on it. She could hear discussion from downstairs. Her father had Joseph Alston over as a guest once again. She wasn't supposed to come downstairs during the times that her father had Mr. Alston over. She wasn't sure why, but if it was for the reason she thought, marriage, the groom wasn't supposed to see the bride until the wedding day is the marriage was arranged. Still sitting at the desk, she grabbed the letter for Philip and slid it into her dress.

After tying a few bedsheets together, Theo tied one end to her bedpost and threw the other end out her large, open window. This was not the first time she had scaled the walls of her home in order of sneaking out. Granted, sneaking out of her house was very hard in a large dress and corset, but it was often worth the effort. Once she was close enough to the ground, Theo released the sheet and fell to the grass. She quickly got back up, brushing her hands off on her green dress before running off towards the Hamilton house.

Once she arrived, she gathered herself on the porch and knocked. The door was quickly answered by one Alexander Hamilton. "Miss. Burr, looking for my son, I presume?" Theo nodded. "I'll go and get him for you then. Come on in if you'd like, Miss."

"Thank you, Mr. Hamilton." Theo stepped inside the familiar house, shutting the front door behind her as Alexander left to go find his son. Philip appeared within moments of Alexander leaving.

"Theo, what a lovely surprise. I wasn't expecting you here today." He said, slipping his arms around her, placing a small kiss on her lips. "What brings you by?"

"Is there somewhere we can talk in private?" Philip nodded, looking at Theo nervously. Why would she want to talk to him in private? Was she breaking up with him? His heart couldn't take that. Beside, she had already promised to marry him. She wouldn't back out. Philip led the girl to the parlor, a private place.

"What's wrong, Theo?" He asked her, taking her hand in his own. "D-did I do something wrong?" He stuttered, looking down at the girl.

"What? Of course not. Philip, you're perfect. It's not you, love." She placed her hand on his cheek, smiling softly at him. "Philip, you and I are good. I love you."