Chapter XVI:

Chapter XVI:

The Women

Philip Hamilton had officially gone back to back to school, leaving Theo's days very dull and boring. With her father always away at work, Theo spent most of her time now at the Hamilton Household. She spent a lot of time with Angie Hamilton, but Angie had her own friends and the two didn't have that much in common anymore. One person Theo did spend a lot of time with was Eliza Hamilton. Theo helped Eliza take care of the children. They saw each other practically every single day, and the two enjoyed it. Eliza enjoyed it because it was like being with her best friend again. Theo enjoyed it because it was like being with her mother again.

   One day, Angelica Schuyler took all of the Hamilton children upstate to spend the weekend with her. Philip had to stay behind for school that Friday so he wasn't able to attend. This left Eliza alone in her house. Eliza didn't like being alone. She thought too much, so she had Theo come over anyway. The two decided to go on a walk on that fall day. Eliza linked arms with the other girl as they walked down the calm streets. "Your mother and I used to go on walks all the time, just like this."

   Theo smiled, thinking about her mother's friendship with the woman. "That sounds lovely, Eliza." She remembered those times too. Her mother always used to go on walks, until she got sick and couldn't walk around much. The two liked reminiscing about Theodosia Burr.

"Theo, Philip told me about the marriage." Theo showed down her walking pace, not expecting that to come into the conversation. "Don't stress." She patted the girl's hand gently. "I'm happy for the two of you." Theo smiled and relaxed a bit. "I think I'd a bit rash, but overall, I'm happy for you and my son."

"It is rash, we're well aware of that, but I promise you, we know what we're doing. I love your son with my whole heart. I will never love anyone more than I do him. We're meant to be." She said softly, bringing a smile to Eliza's face.

"Your mother would be so proud of the beautiful, intelligent, kind, and selfless young woman you have became. I've been lucky enough to see you grow up. I only wish that she could have seen it too." Theo's eyes welded up with tears. Eliza had a way with words too, it wasn't just her husband who did.

"Eliza," she said softly "thank you so much." Theo gripped the woman's hand tightly. Eliza smiled. Mrs. Hamilton kept a secret from the girl. She had a set of a dozen letters written by Theodosia Burr. They were all intended for her daughter for certain events in her life. She was a little behind on delivering them to her though.

"Theo, darling, let's head back to my home. I have something I need to give you." Theo nodded, anxious as to what it might be. The two women headed back to the Hamilton's house. Eliza led the girl to the living room. "Wait here, I'll be back soon enough." Eliza rushed upstairs to her bedroom, peeking under her bed. She found a large, deep green box that held a dozen handwritten letters by Theodosia Burr. Eliza scanned the letters for the correct title before taking it from the box and meeting Theo back downstairs. "Here."

Theo took the letter from Eliza Hamilton, scanning the title quickly before looking up at the woman who gave it to her. "What is this?"

"It's a letter... from your mother." She said, patting the girl's hand. "The last time I saw Theodosia, she handed me a large box filled with a dozen letters. They're all for me to give to you. She wanted me to give them to you when the time came." Theo looked down at the letter. "I'm a bit behind, but I figured now was a better time than never."

Theo nodded, pressing her lips together as she unfolded the letter and began reading.

Open when you fall in love

My dearest, Theodosia,

My love, since you are opening this letter now, I presume that you've fallen in love. Being in love is such a wonderful feeling, Theo. I'm not quite sure I knew what being in love felt like until I met your father. I like to think that being in love is the greatest thing in the whole world. This person that you love will always have a place in your heart.

I hope that this man treats you with the utmost respect and care. I hope he loves you for exactly who you are. I hope that has eyes for you and only you. You deserve nothing more than the world, my dearest. You're my world, love. You always will be, even after I'm gone.

Never change yourself for this man, Theodosia Elizabeth Burr. You are strong, beautiful, intelligent and promising. You are perfection, my love. Nothing less. You most definitely take after your father.

This may be inappropriate, but I really hope that you've fallen for the Hamilton boy, Philip. I know he'd do all of those things for you, Theo, no matter who it is. I just wish I could be there to see it.

I love you, my beautiful daughter. I'll see you very soon, darling.

All my love,
Mum

Theo wiped the tears dripping down her face with her free hand. She missed her mother's wisdom and love. Eliza wrapped the girl in her arms, comforting her like any mother would. "It's alright, dear." She rubbed her back gently as the two heard a door open.

Philip walked into the living room, staring at the pair in confusion. "Mum, why is Theo crying?" He asked walking over to the women. "What did you do?" He assumed, placing his hand gently on his love's arm.

"No, Philip, she didn't do anything." Theo said with a small smile. She looked up at the boy with her tear stained face and red, puffy eyes. "Read this." She handed it over to Philip, watching him as he read it. Philip quickly finished reading the letter, smiling towards the end of it. "See?"

"How'd she know? How'd she know that we'd end up together?" Philip said as the two wrapped their arms around each other. Eliza smiled at the young, hopeful couple.

"I have no idea." Eliza headed off into the kitchen, leaving the two alone. "I love you, Philip Hamilton." She said, looking up at the tall boy.

"I love you too, my dearest, Theodosia."

—————
I decided to use the letter idea because it was something I had done for my best friend for Christmas and I thought it would be something very sentimental for the Burr women.

Anyway! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I love you all! Have a wonderful day/night! I appreciate you all!