Chapter XXXX:

Chapter XXXX:

Reasoning

Shorter chapter, sorry guys! Big things are coming!

February 20, 1801. Theo didn't dare to mention Alexander Hamilton in their house. Her father seemed fine, so she didn't want to push him over the edge. He still allowed her to see Philip and to spend time at the Hamilton house, and she didn't want to ruin that. Aaron was content with being Vice-President, even if it was to Thomas Jefferson.

Philip was anxious twenty-four-seven. He was nervous that one day, Aaron was going to snap at the fact that Alexander hadn't placed his vote for him. He was afraid that Aaron would do away with the marriage or ban them from seeing each other, or worst of all, marry Theo off to someone who wasn't him. He couldn't imagine Theo being married to someone that wasn't him.

Alexander was in the home library when Philip arrived home from the school day. It had been a bit awkward between the two Hamilton men. When Alexander had made his decision, Philip couldn't understand why. He was frustrated with him. "Pops, hey." Philip said awkwardly, putting his school bag up against the wall.

"Son." Alexander said calmly. "I think we should have a discussion about what happened a couple months ago." Philip nodded in agreement. Alexander sat in a chair from one desk and Philip sat in one from another. "We should discuss how the election went down."

"I think we should too." Alexander and Philip sat there for a moment, not saying anything to each other. Philip spoke, breaking the silence. "Why didn't you vote for Mr. Burr?"

Alexander shook his head for no particular reason. "I thought I made that pretty clear when I cast my vote against him." Philip narrowed his gaze at his father. "I would have voted for Burr if I thought he was a good fit for this country. He was my very first friend. I wanted him to be the man for the job, but he has no beliefs."

"Pops." Philip said softly. "Do you know how much damage that vote may cause?" He knew that he sounded selfish, but he didn't care much about it. He had lost Theo once and he didn't plan on losing her again, especially at the hands of someone else.

   "Do you know how much damage I would have caused if I didn't vote for Jefferson?" Alexander shot back quickly. "I know you're blind to it, but Theodosia's father stands for nothing."

"Don't say that, Pops." Philip said calmly. He didn't want to start an argument with his father. He'd probably lose. Correction, he would lose. His father was Alexander Hamilton, that was enough of an explanation for anyone that knew him.

"Do you want me to lie to you?" Alexander asked. "Philip, you're nineteen years old. Open your eyes. Sometimes standing for something you don't agree with is better than standing for nothing." It did pain Alexander to say this. If it was up to him, he would have ran for president, but because of his affair with Maria Reynolds, there was no way.

Aaron Burr was Alexander's very first friend when he came to America. He really wanted to vote for Aaron, but he couldn't but his professional opinions aside. And boy, did Alexander hate voting for Thomas Jefferson. It made his sick, but if Jefferson and Hamilton had anything in common, it would be that the two were strong in their beliefs. There was no arguing that.

   Philip shook his head in disagreement. "Pops, I can't agree—" He was quickly cut off by his father.

   "You're looking at this all wrong." Alexander said bluntly. "You're looking at this from a loyalty standpoint. You think just because I'm... I was friends with Burr that I'd be loyal to him. My vote was benefiting this country. I didn't vote to benefit your love life." Alexander said, getting up from his seat and leaving the room in a fit of rage.

   Philip did the same thing, marching out of the room and upstairs to his bedroom. Alexander just didn't understand his son. He always claimed that his love for Eliza was the same as Philip's love for Theo. Philip always thought that if Alexander loved Eliza so much, he wouldn't have had an affair. Philip would never, ever do such a thing. His love was too strong. He loved Theo, and he would till the day he died.

——–—–
I hope you enjoyed this (shorter) update! You guys are the greatest readers anyone could ask for. Thank you so much! Much love!!