Chapter XXXXIV:

Chapter XXXXIV:

The World Was Wide Enough

   July 12, 1804. Three years had gone by since the death of Philip Hamilton. Theodosia Burr had never truly recovered from the day when she lost the love of her life. A part of her died that very same day, and she was never the same. And even though she was married to another man, Joseph Alston, she still wasn't in love. He was... fine. He knew about her loss, he was very kind to her and obviously cared much about her. But he wasn't Philip.

   Four months after Philip's death, Theo was married to Alston. About a year later, Theo gave birth to a son, which she named after her father, and after Philip. Aaron Philip Alston.

   July 12, 1804. Theo was at her father's house in the city with her son. It was early in the morning, a few hours from dawn and Theo couldn't sleep. She went downstairs into her father's office. When she saw him sitting in there, she was surprised. "Daddy?"

   Aaron looked up from his work and smiled softly at his daughter. "Theo, darling. What are you doing up this early in the morning?" He pulled over a chair for Theo to sit in. She did.

   Theo shrugged. "I couldn't sleep." The woman said, crossing her legs. She peered over on his desk, but Aaron quickly covered up what he had been writing. "What are you up to?"

   Aaron put his work into the drawer. "Just some work. I have a meeting a dawn, I'm just preparing for it, that's all." It wasn't any old meeting. It was in Weehawken, New Jersey. Near the same spot Philip died. It was a dueling ground. "Why don't you try and get some sleep?"

Theo let out a yawn and nodded in agreement. "Okay, Daddy. Goodnight." She kissed her father's cheek before heading for the doorway.

"Theodosia, wait." Aaron said, standing up and rushing to his daughter. He pulled her into his arms, holding her tightly. "I love you very much. You make me so proud, every single day." Theo smiled and hugged her father.

"What was all of that for?" Theo said with a small laugh, letting go of her father.

"I just thought I'd tell you." He said softly. "Now go on upstairs and get some sleep." Aaron told her, walking his daughter to the staircase.

"Okay, okay." Theo climbed a few steps before turning towards her father. "I love you too, Daddy." With that, Theo went upstairs and back to bed, drifting off to sleep. When Theo woke up, her father was gone. It was just her and little Aaron.

   Two year old Aaron sat on the ground, playing with old toys. Theodosia was in the kitchen cooking up something for their early lunch. It was about eleven o'clock when Aaron Burr arrived in his house. He was shaking when he walked into the kitchen. "Grandpa!" Little Aaron squealed, toddling over to the man. Theodosia looked up at her father with a small smile but it quickly faded after seeing his expression.

   "Baby, come here." She said to her son. "Why don't you go and play in the library while Grandpa and I have a chat, okay?" Little Aaron nodded, wandering off into the library. Theo stepped close to her father. "Daddy? What's wrong?"

   Aaron initially was going to lie, but he couldn't. The guilt was haunting him. He knew Theo would be upset. "I went to a duel." Aaron said quickly.

   "Pardon?"

   "I went to a duel, not to a meeting." Aaron told his daughter. Theo looked shocked. "I had a duel with Alexander Hamilton." Aaron still shook, and Theo just knew. Aaron Burr had shot Alexander Hamilton.

   "You didn't." Theo said, her hands trembling. "Daddy, you didn't." Aaron didn't do anything.

   "He's dead." He finally said. Her hand cupped her mouth as she let out a cry. Philip's father was dead. Dead at the hands of her own father. The man who was so kind to her, the man who welcomed her into their family. "Theo—"

   Aaron reached for his daughter, but she backed away. "How could you?" She cried. "How could you do such a thing?"

   "Mama?" Little Aaron said, pulling at his mother's dress. "Why are you crying?" Theo shook her head, picking her son up from the ground. "What's wrong, Mama?"

   "Nothing, baby, but we're going home." Theo said, marching upstairs to gathering her things. Aaron followed his daughter up there. "Pack up your things, love."

   "Theodosia, please." Aaron said, stepping into the room. "Let me explain." Theo shook her head. "Theodosia—"

   "No." She said clearly, finishing packing up her things. She grabbed her things and her son's hand as they walked downstairs. "Goodbye." She said coldly as the two left the house.

   "Mama, why are you mad at grandpa?" Little Aaron asked as the two walked to a familiar house.

   "He made a big mistake, baby." She told her son as they arrived at the house. Despite seeing the family often, she hadn't been to their house in years. Theo stopped before the front steps.

   "Mama, what's wrong now?" Aaron asked, looking up at his mother. Theo looked down up her son.

   "I had a... friend... who used to live here. He passed on a while back." Theo told her son. "I haven't been back in a long time."

   "You can do it, Mama." Aaron told his mother. "You're strong." Theo smiled softly, crouching down to her son's height.

   "You are so very smart, Aaron Philip." She told her son, placing a kiss on his cheek. The two slowly made their way to the front door. When they got there, Theo knocked.

   Theo began panicking. Coming here was an awful idea. She won't want to see me. She'll probably hate me now. The door opened slowly, revealing a distraught Eliza Hamilton. Theo expected the door to be slammed in her face, but it wasn't.

   Eliza threw her arms around the woman who was standing outside. She sobbed into her shoulder, hugging her tightly. She had just lost her husband. Theo let go of her son's hand rubbing Eliza's back comfortingly. Angelica peaked out from behind her sister. Eliza looked up at the girl. "He.. he's—"

   "Shh, I know." Theo said softly, holding Eliza tightly. Eliza looked Theo in the eye, then down at the woman's son. "This is my son, Aaron Philip Alston." Eliza broke down at the name of her son. This went on for a few more minutes until Eliza looked up again.

   "Welcome home, Theodosia."

—————
Final Chapter Countdown: 2!

Two updates in one day?! It's a BIG snow day, so I've had plenty of time to write. The next chapter is a big time jump, and the final one is a bit... different.

Thank you for commenting, voting, and reading! I wouldn't be anywhere without you all!