Chapter VI

AN: I'm not sure if the timing is historically accurate but it's a fanfic so it doesn't matter too much. Also, Alexander has some rash actions in this chapter that I'm not quite sure he would have actually done, but again, it's a fic so play along.

Chapter VI:

The Reynolds Pamphlet

   "Oh shit." Aaron Burr muttered under his breath. There was a big, fat pamphlet sitting on his kitchen counter. He had just finished reading a pamphlet written by his best enemy, Alexander Hamilton, entitled The Reynolds Pamphlet. The pamphlet explained that Alexander Hamilton never touched American money and that he was a perfectly correct public figure, but as a private figure, he had cheated on his loving wife and paid blackmail. "Alexander..." He whispered to himself. "I can't believe you did this to yourself."

   Theodosia Burr entered the kitchen, humming a tunes softly. She turned to face her father as her eyes saw the pamphlet. Alexander Hamilton? "What's that?"

  "It's nothing, dear. Don't worry."

   "I saw it, Daddy. It was written by Mr. Hamilton. Now let me see it." Theo swiped it from her father and quickly began reading it.

   The charge against me is a connection
with one James Reynolds! For purposes of
improper speculation. My real crime is an
amorous connection with his wife
for a considerable time with his
knowing consent.

   "Oh my lord." Theo whispered. Her father just stood and watched. Poor Philip, poor Eliza. She continued to read on.

   I had frequent meetings with her. Most of
them at my own house. Mrs. Hamilton with our children being absent on a visit to her father.

   No. How could Alexander Hamilton, a respectable man, whom she had know for years, destroy his family like this? "His poor family." She said weakly, looking up from the pamphlet and at her father. Aaron walked over to his daughter and hugged her.

   "I know, it's hard to understand. Alexander has always been strong willed, and ever since the war ended, he hasn't had that many opportunities to channel his will. He's helpless." Theo released her father.

   "I have to go see Philip." She couldn't stop thinking about how he must be feeling. He had looked up to his father his whole life, and now this image of him is completely shattered.

   "They may just want to be left alone, Theodosia." Theo shook her head. She knew Philip. He was probably being strong for his mom, unable to deal with the situation for himself.

   "I know Philip like I know my own mind, Daddy. I need to go and see him." Aaron nodded, watching as his daughter fled the house. It only took Theo a few minutes to get to the Hamilton's house. As soon as she got there, she heard screaming and yelling.

   "What is wrong with you?" Philip. "How could you do that to us, to her?" Theo assumed that Philip was yelling at his father.

   "You're too young, boy! You don't understand what happened, what I was going through!" Her assumption was correct, it was Alexander's voice that fired right back at him.

   "Do you know what I understand? Mum begged you to take a break and you refused to! We're never enough for you! You'll never be satisfied with what you have, you ungrateful, selfish—"

   Slap. Theo almost screamed. Despite not seeing it, she knew what had just gone down. She watched as Alexander marched out of the house in a huff. She was careful not to get in his way. After he made his way farther down the street, she turned back to the house and saw Philip standing in the doorway, holding his cheek. "Theo." He said softly.

   The girl made her way up the step of the Hamilton house and met Philip. She gently placed her hand over the large, red, hand-shaped mark on his cheek. "You shouldn't have had to hear that." Philip said as he looked down. "I'm sorry."

   Theodosia tilted the boy's head up. "You're sorry? The only person who should be sorry is him. You were standing up for you mother. He slapped you." Theo smiled weakly at Philip. "Never apologize for him to me again, do you understand me? You didn't do anything wrong, Philip Hamilton." Philip smiled softly and placed his hand on top of hers. She could tell he was just barely holding himself together. His eyes were filled to the brim with tears, his lips quivered and his hands trembled like crazy. "Philip, it's okay. You've been strong long enough."

   The young Hamilton boy placed his head on the girl's shoulder and let out a sob. Theo quickly wrapped her arms around him comfortingly. Her hand rubbed his back gently as he slipped his arms around her, sobbing harder. "I don't understand, Theo." He said, cracking in his voice. "How could he do this?" At that moment, the only thing Theo wanted was to be able to answer his question, but how and the world could she answer a question like that?

   They stood there for a while, embracing each other as Philip let himself go. Theo couldn't help but let a few tears of her own slip down her cheeks. She had never heard a more heartbreaking sound than the sound of Philip's sobs. It made her heart ache. Finally, Philip stopped crying and he split apart from Theo. His eyes were red and puffy while his cheeks were tear stained. "Thank you, Theo." He said softly, giving her soft hands a gentle squeeze.

   "I will always be here for you, Philip. Always." Philip nodded and led her inside. The house was unusually quiet. Usually there were seven other children dashing around.

   "My aunt, Angelica, took my siblings so my mother could grieve for herself." Philip said, a crack in his voice. The crack broke Theo's heart. As they stepped closer to the staircase, Theodosia could hear loud, heartbreaking sobs from upstairs. Eliza. Theo placed her hand over her heart and closed her eyes gently. The poor thing. Philip and Theodosia sat down in the home library. Theo loved the Hamilton library. There were so many books, so many types of books.

   The two sat there in a comfortable silence for a while, occasionally glancing at the other person on the sofa. Philip broke the silence. "Theo?"

   Theodosia looked at the sad young man next to her. "Yes, Philip?"

   "I want you to know that, just because my father did something horrible like this, doesn't mean that I will too." He said softly. "I hope he hasn't changed your views towards me."

   Theo's heart couldn't take this. "Of course not, Philip. I'm still as in love with you as I was the day a ran here to tell you so. Nobody will ever change my views on you. I trust you."

   "I do love you, Theodosia Burr."

   "I love you too, Philip Hamilton. That won't change, I promise you that much."