Chapter XXIX:

Chapter XXIX:

The Messenger

   March 10, 1799. Theodosia Burr hadn't seen Philip or anyone in the Hamilton family in  months. The last time she had seen them, it was in December, at The Winter's Ball, when her father had dragged her from Philip, ripping the two apart. Theo had spent four months without even laying her eyes on him. She was hardly ever aloud to leave her house unless escorted.

   She laid on her bed, curled up in a ball. Her heart ached. She missed Philip so much. For the first week of their separation, she struggled eating and even motivating herself to do simple, everyday things. How could she live like this? The pain was unbearable. It was the second worst pain she had ever felt, after losing her mother. She missed Philip, and was outraged at her father's actions.

Theo was alone in her house when a knock was heard. She made her way to the front door, peaking through the peephole. He's here. Theo swung the door open, seeing a tall boy on the other side. She flung her arms around his neck, holding onto him. The young man wrapped his arms around the small young woman, holding her tight. "I missed you." Theo said, inviting the young man inside her home.

"I missed you too, Miss. Theodosia, mon cher." Georges said. As soon as he had received Theo's letter, he couldn't help but to actually run over to her house to comfort her. Georges ran fifteen minutes to see Theo. "How are you doing?" He said as the two sat down on the sofa in the living room.

   "It's been four months since I've been with Philip, so not very good. I feel trapped in this house, Georges." Theo placed her head in her hands, letting out a grown. "I don't know how much longer I can do this." Georges wrapped his arm around the girl, holding her close.

   "Theodosia, it'll get better." He rubbed her back gently, trying to comfort the girl. "I'm here for you every step of the way, you know? You're my friend, dear, I love you." And he definitely meant it. He still was head over heels in love with Theodosia Burr, and because of this, he hadn't continued his relationship with Angelica Hamilton after the ball.

"Thank you, Georges." Theo said softly. "I feel as if you're the only person I have in my corner." Georges gave his friend a comforting squeeze. "Have you spoken to Philip?" Theo asked eagerly. She figured that she could use Georges as a messenger of some sorts, between her and Philip.

   Georges nodded. "I have. He misses you a lot. You're still all that he talks and thinks about." The same applied for Georges, Theo was all he thought about and all he talked about. He claimed that he was just upset for her, not that he was completely and extremely in love with her. "He's angry with your father—"

   "That makes two of us, then." Theo mumbled, gritting her teeth together. Georges shook his head.

   "—but, he understands why your father is doing this." Theo shot up from her seat, pacing back and forth around the living room. "Theodosia?" Georges said hesitantly.

   "My father is such a child." She hissed aloud. "Most of the time, he stands for nothing, but god forbid I'm happy, he just tramples it. He stands for ruining my life and crushing my happiness." She paced faster, grumbling as she did so. Georges stood up, placing his hands on her shoulders, keeping her from her insanely quick pacing.

   "Miss. Theodosia, relax, please." And she did. "I know that you're angry with your father, but you and I both know that holding a grudge against the man isn't going to fix the problem we have here. It'll only make things worse." Theo nodded. Georges was right.

   "Georges, I have something I want to ask you." The young man straightened up, looking down at the short girl, ready for her question. "I need you to help me arrange a time to meet up with Philip." The girl took her friend's hands, causing Georges' heart rate to speed up. She was holding his hands. "Please, Georges. I can't do this by myself. I need your assistance." She needed him. Sure, it wasn't in the way he had wanted, he was helping to reunite a couple, but it was a win in his book.

   "Yes, of course, mademoiselle." Georges told her, squeezing the girl's hands. "I would do anything for either of you." It was the truth.

   "Thank you, Georges." Theo threw herself at him, hugging him tight. "I love you, my friend." Friendzoned, but Georges didn't mind.

   "Let's get planning. Quickly, before my father gets home." The two nodded and sat back down on the sofa. "We can meet at the park in a weeks time. Hopefully, my father will allow you to escort me there." Georges nodded.

   "Around noon on Friday? Philip and I can cut our classes." Theo nodded. She was getting excited. Even the thought of seeing Philip again, even for a few minutes, put her at ease. "Perfect." Theo looked down at her lap. What if this didn't end up working out? She needed to see him again. "Theodosia, dear. I promise you that this will work out. You and Philip will be reunited once more."

   She couldn't have been more thankful for Georges' friendship. Theo wasn't dumb. She knew that Georges was doing this because he wanted Theo to be happy. He loved her. She did feel guilty for using Georges' love for her for her own personal gain, but that was the only way she could see her love again. "Thank you, my friend." The two were startled when they heard the front door swung open.

   Aaron appeared in the living room, staring curiously at the young man sitting by his daughter. "Who are you?" Theo sighed loudly, clearly on purpose.

   "Daddy, this is my friend. No need to be wound up." She said, a tinge of annoyance in her voice. Georges stood up quickly.

   "It's a pleasure to meet you, Monsieur Burr." Georges said, introducing himself to the father of the girl he was in love with. "I am Georges Washington Lafayette." Aaron Burr nodded. "You fought in the Revolutionary War with my father, Marquis de Lafayette."

   "Yes, I remember, Mr. Lafayette." Aaron said clearly, nodding at the polite young man. "It's nice to meet you." He sounded genuine.

   "May I ask you something, Monsieur Burr?" Aaron nodded, giving his approval. "I would like to take your daughter out next Friday afternoon, Monsieur. As friend, of course." Aaron looked over at his daughter as she flashed him big, doe eyes. "May I?"

   Aaron looked back at the young man. "Okay, Mr. Lafayette." Theo beamed. She was one step closer to seeing Philip again.

—————
Thank you all for your endless support and reading this chapter! I hope you enjoyed it! I love you all! Have a wonderful day!