Chapter XXXVIII:

Chapter XXXVIII:

Dress Fittings

A/n: So I'm not exactly positive on how these things happened, so I'm going to work with how I'd like it to go. Enjoy!

May 14, 1800. Early that morning, Theo was dragged out of her house in the early hours of the morning by members of the wedding party. Eliza, Angelica, Peggy, and Angie to be precise. They had a whole day planned for the girls. First, breakfast, then to the bridal dress store, and finally to their tailor friend, Hercules Mulligan, who would make altercations to the dresses the women decided on. They were all excited, and Theo was too, but she thought that they could have pushed the schedule a few hours for more sleep.

While riding in the carriage, Theo had her head rested on Peggy's shoulder, whom she had gotten to become close with over the past couple months. "Are you going to fall asleep on us already, Theo?" Peggy teased.

Theo yawned. "No, I'm just... resting my eyes." She claimed, getting a giggle from Peggy. The carriage ride to the tavern was fairly short. The five women made their way inside, taking a seat at a large table. It wasn't busy, probably due to it being the early morning. The women were all chatting as goblets of water were delivered to them all.

   "So, Theodosia, what were you thinking about for your dress?" Angelica asked, taking a sip from the glass.

   Eliza nodded. "Yes, what were you thinking? This is a very important event in your life. The dress has to be absolutely perfect." Peggy agreed with her sister.

   "I've only had one thought about my dress. I only want one thing in particular." She said, drawing circles on the table with her index
finger. "I want to wear my mother's wedding dress." She said softly. All of the women smiled softly, besides Eliza, she was beaming. "Considering she won't be able to see me get married, it'll be like she's there with me."

   "That's a wonderful idea, Theodosia." Eliza said, placing her hand gently on top of Theo's. "What do you all think?" Eliza asked the rest of the women.

   They all nodded, agreeing with Eliza. Then it was settled. Theo would be wearing her mother's old wedding dress at her very own wedding. The waiter came over and all the women placed their breakfast orders. "What were you thinking for the bridesmaid dresses?" Peggy asked.

"You guys can choose whatever you want to wear. I want you all to be comfortable." She was telling the truth. Her wedding didn't need to be some huge formal event. She just wanted everyone she loved to be there and she wanted them all to be happy. That would be perfect.

   The food was quickly served and the hungry ladies ate up. They ate quickly and paid for all of the meals before heading back into the carriage. Since they no longer had to go pick out a wedding dress, they decided to bring Theo back on to try on her mother's old dress.

When she arrived, all of the women, besides Angie, waited in Theo's bedroom as Theo and Angie slipped into Theo's father's bedroom, where the dress was sitting in the closet. It hadn't been worn since Theodosia and Aaron recreated their wedding for their daughter.

Looking at the white dress hung up in the closet brought back that memory for Theo. Her eyes welded up with tears. Mum should be here. She should be able to see all of this. Angie had caught notice of the tears and gently placed her hand on her best friend's back. "Are you alright?"

Theo nodded, wiping her eyes. "I'm alright." She took the dress out of the closet and laid it out on the bed. It was as beautiful as she remembered it. Angie had helped her put the dress on, considering it was so much bigger than an average dress. It was long at her feet. Theo was shorter than her mother was. Angie stared in awe at her best friend and future sister. "How do I look? I mean, my mother looked amazing in it. I could never match her. It could use a little hemming—"

"Theo, you look beautiful. Absolutely beautiful." Angie said, grabbing the girl's hands. "My brother will be speechless." Theo blushed, hugging her friend. "Now let's go show the bridesmaids."

The two young women walked into Theo's bedroom. The sisters began hollering in joy and jumping up and down with excitement. "You look so much like your mother." Eliza said, hugging the girl.

At this time, Aaron had gotten home for the first time that day. He had been working all night long and was ready to come home to a quiet house, but only he didn't. He came home to the sound of hollering and jumping. Aaron made his way upstairs to his daughter's bedroom. When he arrived, he saw the Schuyler Sisters, Angie Hamilton, and the back of a young girl in a white dress.

If his wife hadn't already passed, he could have sworn it was her. The sisters noticed Burr in the doorway and turned the girl around. Aaron and his daughter met eyes and Aaron almost instantly broke down into tears. She was a spitting image of her mother, besides the eyes, those were his. "Daddy, hey."

   Aaron stepped closer to his daughter, pulling her into his arms. He rested his head on her shoulder. It was almost like seeing the love of his life once more. After a few minutes of silence, he lifted his head and looked at his smiling daughter. "You're the most beautiful bride I've ever seen."

—————
I decided to write a nice chapter because the next one is a time jump and then it'll get really sad. Prepare yourselves.

I love you guys! Thank you for reading! I appreciate you all so much! I really hope you enjoyed this chapter! Have a wonderful day day!