Chapter X:

Chapter X:

Meetings

Theo didn't allow herself in the room when her father had his political friends over. At least not anymore. She got too into their conversation. Unlike her father, she did not hesitate to speak her mind and give the politicians her advice on how to run the country. Aaron was too afraid to crush her spirits. He was well aware that his it would be incredibly hard for Theo to continue a life in politics, it wasn't a 'woman's place.' That wasn't going to stop Theo from sharing her thoughts. One of which was her how she was not fond of John Adams.

Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and Aaron Burr sat around in the Burr living room, debating matters of their county. When her father would have his politician friends over, Theo would move a chair from the library right next to the closed door so she could listen in on what everyone was saying. This time, she had her own guest. Philip sat in a chair on the other side of the door frame, listening in. "Is this what you do for fun around your house?"

"Shhh." Theo shushed him and pressed her ear closer to the door. Philip rolled his eyes playfully and did the same. "No, no, no." Theo whispered. "That's an absolutely awful idea, Jefferson. Listen to Madison, he know what to do." Philip put his hands over his face, trying to muffle his laughter. Theo looked over at her boyfriend and gave him a very serious gaze. "What? Why are you laughing?"

Philip smiled softly at the beautiful girl before him. "You're funny." He told her. Theo folded her arms across her chest. "You're listening into this like it's the gossip of the century. Why are you so interested in this stuff anyway?"

Theo just shrugged. She liked knowing what her father was up to and what he did for a living. She lived her political life through her father. "I don't know, it's interesting. Don't you find it interesting?"

"Yeah, just not as much as you do. You could lead a fan club or something." Theo let out a laugh, which caused Philip to laugh. To him, her laugh was the greatest sound in the world, not to mention that it was incredibly contagious. The two just kept laughing, unaware of how loud it was.

The door suddenly swung open and the three men stood on the other side of the door staring at the two teenagers that had previously been laughing. "Theo." Aaron said, looking from his daughter to his enemy's son. "What are you doing outside the door?"

"I was simply listening in on your conversation and informing Philip of all my opinions on the matters. That's all." The two quests smiled at her interest. "Just so you know, I would go with Madison's plan. There's too many risks involved with Jefferson's. It may just blow up in your face."

   "Thank you, I'll take note of that." Jefferson replied, a laugh following it. "Thank you, Mr. Burr, for having us."

   Aaron Burr nodded and lead his guests to the door before returning to the two giggly teenagers. "So," Aaron said, silencing the giggles "is Philip staying for dinner?"

   The smile that once rested on Theo's face fled. For dinner. "F-for dinner, Daddy? I think he might already have plans, isn't that right, Philip?" Theo stuttered, nudging her boyfriend hard in the ribs. Philip flew up from his chair.

   "Actually, I just might. Thank you for having me, Theo, Mr. Burr. It was—" Philip spoke quickly, already stumbling towards the door.