Chapter XXXII:

Chapter XXXII:

The Bond of Hamilton and Burr

   June 25, 1799. Today was the day, not of the courting, but of the discussion of the courting. Small steps. The Hamilton's were hosting the Burr's in their home to discuss the matter. Alexander was reluctant to have Aaron Burr in his house, but Eliza convinced him otherwise.

Philip was standing in front of a mirror, straightening out his jacket. Everything had to go perfectly at dinner. "Nervous?" Philip jumped, quickly turning to see his sister standing in the doorway, arms folded across her chest. Angie was the only one of the Hamilton children, besides Philip of course, allowed to attend the dinner. Both Philip and Theo wanted her there for moral support. The other children were with Angelica upstate.

Angie had been pretty quiet around Philip recently, due to Georges discontinuing their relationship. Philip took a breath. "A bit." He said, turning back to the mirror, putting his crazy hairs back into place. After finishing, he turned to his sister once more. "Thank you for staying, Ang. Theo and I appreciate it." She nodded, walking over to her brother.

She placed her hand gently on his shoulder, putting him at ease. "Everything will be fine. Don't stress about it." Philip smiled softly as he heard a knock on the door. "You've got this." Angie said. Alexander practically dashed into the room at the sound of the knock, like a dog chasing the sound of a doorbell. Eliza walked into the entryway, all of the Hamilton's waiting.

   Philip opened the door, his eyes meeting the faces of Aaron and Theo. The girl outside smiled brightly at the sight of the Hamilton family. If only her father had the same enthusiasm. "Hamilton family, hello." Aaron said between his teeth. The four family members moved out of the way so the Burrs could enter their home. Aaron, Alexander, and Eliza headed into the kitchen, leaving Philip, Angie, and Theo lingering in the entryway.

"We can do this." Theo said, mostly for her own benefit. Despite her father's reassurance that he's not going to change his mind, she was still nervous. Philip took Theo's hands reassuringly.

"Everything is going to be fine. I promise you that much, love." Theo smiled softly, leaning in to kiss Philip. Angie cleared her throat loudly, getting their attention.

"Save it for later." Angie said. "I don't want to see that." She gestured to the dining room. Philip, Theo and Angie made their way into the dining room, where Alexander and Aaron were (surprisingly) calmly talking about politics and Eliza was tucked away in the kitchen. Theo decided to go in and join Eliza there.

The mother smiled softly at the sight of the girl. "There she is." Eliza beamed, hugging the girl. "My future daughter." Theo hugged her back, smiling widely. "How are you doing? Nervous? Excited? Don't worry, I'll keep Alexander in check for you." Eliza said, putting her hands gently on Theo's cheeks as they both giggled.

"Thank you, Eliza." Theo said, helping the woman bring the plates, silverware, and food into the dining room. Philip tried to help both Theo and his mother but they both denied him. After the table was set with the food, everyone began eating. The dinner was pretty serious with the adults, but Theo and Philip spent the whole dinner making faces and kicking each other from across the table, Angie trying to hold back laughter.

   "So, this marriage thing." Alexander said, stacking plates after the meal. "I just want to make sure that this is what the two of you want. Spending your lives together is a big decision." Eliza and Aaron nodded in agreement, Aaron and Alexander actually agreeing on something.

   Philip looked at Theo with love in his eyes. "I've never been so sure of anything in my life. I want to spend the rest of my life with this beautiful, smart, clever, and king young woman." Theo blushed, wrapping her arms around her boyfriend's torso.

   "I can't imagine my life without him. He's everything I ever could have wanted. I want to marry this man." She said clearly, getting a kiss on her head from Philip. The adults nodded and Angie smiled. When would Angie get her turn at love? She was happy for them nonetheless.

   "Okay." Alexander said, nodding. He made his way over to the couple, taking the young woman's hand. "Welcome to the Hamilton family, Miss. Theodosia." Theo smiled widely at the man.

   "Thank you, Mr... Alexander." She caught herself. She was used to calling him Mr. Hamilton, because that's how her father would speak of him to her.

   Aaron walked over and stood beside Alexander. "I'm giving you my daughter in two years. That may seem like a long time, but for me, it feels like you're taking her away tomorrow." Theo reached for her father's hand.

   "Mr. Burr. I promise you that I will never get between you and your daughter. That's a relationship that will never change." Philip assured him, getting a proud smile from his father.

   "Thank you, Philip." He called him Philip. That made the young man smile. He almost never called him Philip. It was always Mr. Hamilton. "Theodosia, my world." Aaron said, turning his attention to his daughter. "I'm so proud that you didn't give up on love." Theo smiled warmly. "I love you my darling daughter, you'll make a wonderful wife for this... promising young man." Theo quickly hugged her father tightly. He looked at Philip. "If you hurt her, I swear—"

   "Daddy!" Theo said, interrupting him. "Not necessary." Alexander stifled a laugh. Eliza's speech was next.

   "Theodosia." Eliza said softly. "It's been my absolute pleasure to watch you grow up from a small, smart, joyful young girl to a beautiful, strong, intelligent young woman. I know I already have eight of them, but I've always considered you to be my child too, ever since your mother passed." Eliza gripped the girl's hands tightly. "Your mother would have loved to see this happening. She always had faith in the two of you."

   Eliza hugged Theo, and then her son. Two families, reunited through love. How long can this great of a thing continue?

—————
I hope you guys liked this family bonding chapter! I love you guys. I hope you enjoyed this! Thanks for reading!