Chapter IV

Chapter IV:

My Name is Philip, I am a Poet

   Dearest, Theodosia. What to say to you?

   Philip Hamilton let out a long sigh. What to say to you? How do you tell your very best friend how much she means to you? How do you tell her that you like her as more than just a friend? Philip didn't know how to answer any of those questions. He gently placed his head down on the desk in front of him, groaning loudly. He just couldn't put his feelings into words. He bet Theo could. She was perfect. Do I even tell her? Philip thought. If he told her, would it ruin the friendship? What if she didn't feel the same way. Philip opened up the desk drawer and placed the poem inside it. He'd come back later.

   Why was it so difficult for him to do this? Philip was a poet, this should be a piece of cake. This poem wasn't as simple. This poem wasn't just something he was writing for fun, this poem was the poem that was going to show all of his emotions and feelings to Theodosia. "Son?" Philip turned around and saw his father in the doorway. "What's on your mind?" Philip shrugged as his father pulled over a chair. "It's a girl, isn't it?"

   "How'd you know?" Philip asked.

   "I know everything. You should know this by now." Alexander said, placing his hand on his son's shoulder. "Why don't you tell me about it?"

"It's Theo. I can't stop thinking about her and it's driving me crazy." Philip placed his face in his hands, groaning loudly. "I don't understand." He said in a muffled tone. Alexander laughed, which caused Philip to look back at his father. "Why are you laughing?"

"Because it's clear that you like Miss. Burr." Philip shook his head.

"Theo's my friend, I don't like her like that."

"Liar." Alexander said. "You like her and you know it." Philip arched his eyebrow, surprised at his father's childish behavior.

   "Okay." He took a deep breath. "I like Theo." Alexander smiled, happy with himself. "It's just, she's so elegant, and sweet, and beautiful. Man, is she beautiful. Her voice is like the most perfect melody. She always puts everyone else first. She's the smartest person I've ever met, and she speaks with so much passion. I saw her with some other guys at the ball, and I just got so jealous, so jealous. I've never felt this way about anyone. I don't know. She probably just thinks of me as a friend." Philip placed his head back in his hands. "I'm not good enough for perfection."

   "That's insane! You're my son, you're good enough for anyone. Matter of fact, she's not good enough for you!" Philip cocked his head at his father. "Sorry, that was out of line." He exhaled and spoke again. "What you said, Philip, about Theodosia. Write that."

   "It's not that sim—"

   "You're overthinking it. Just sit down and let the quill do all of the work. Just write." And Philip did so.

A perfect melody? Your voice.
Writing this, I made a difficult choice.
Wether to tell you how I feel,
or continue going on.

I don't understand how I was never aware
that your beauty was beyond compare.
You outshine the morning sun,
when you stare, I'm completely undone.

How to tell you what's on my mind?
I've never written of this kind.
You're a thief, Theodosia.
You stole my heart.

an: I'm shit at poetry so sorry for that. If anyone has any ideas on improving it, please share it with me.

   "That'll have to do." Philip said, folding up the poem and preparing to mail it. "I just hope this works."

—————

"This came in the mail for you, dear." Aaron said as he looked through the mail that the Burr's had received that Friday. Theo just flipped to another page in her book, Common Sense by Thomas Paine. "It's from the Hamilton boy." The girl slammed her book shut and jumped off her spot in the sofa, stumbling as she reached for the letter.

Aaron handed his daughter the letter reluctantly. She quickly tore into the letter, her eyes scanning his words.

Dearest, Theodosia,

I have a lot to say to you this time. I lot that I'm not quite sure how to put into a regular letter. So, keeping my promise, I'm letting you read a poem I have written. It's for you.

Theo took the second piece of paper and read it as fast as she could. "W-what?" She whispered as she reread it over again. Her father looked over at her curiously.

"What did he say?"

"I stole his heart." She muttered. "I stole his heart." She said louder, her father able to hear her this time. She pressed his words to her chest, falling back onto the sofa and squealing. "Oh my! I must write him back. — No! I have to go over there right now."

"Theo, darling, you're acting impulsively. Just stay here. Wait." But Theodosia wasn't listening, she was already out the door, gripping the letter tightly as she ran down the sidewalk. She arrived at the Hamilton house within five minutes, knocking anxiously on the door.

Eliza opened the door. "What in the name? — Theodosia?"

"Is Philip home?" Theo asked. "I got his letter."

"He is, let me go to get him." Theo nodded as Eliza left quickly and within a matter of moments, Philip was there in front of her.

"Theo—"

"How to tell you what's on my mind?" She said quickly. Philip recognized his own words, but didn't interrupt the girl. "I've never spoken of this kind." Theodosia stepped closer to her friend as he stepped onto the porch, closing the door behind himself. "You're a thief, Philip." He stepped even closer to her.

"Theo, what are you saying?"

"You stole my heart." She whispered, placing her hand on Philip's cheek. "You have. Every bit of it." Philip beamed at the girl before him.

"Theo." He whispered. He stared down at her with so much love in his eyes. He had never felt higher. Hearing Theodosia's words made him happier than anything in his sixteen years. He wrapped his arms around her waist, just as he had done when they reunited in the market. She wrapped her arms around his neck and the two held each other tightly.

    "Now that we have this settled, I really should be getting back home." The two released each other, but still had their fingers interlocked. They smiled at each other as Theo began walking down the steps and onto the sidewalk.

    "Wait, Theo!" Philip ran down the steps and took her hand, stopping her from walking away from him any farther.

     "Philip—" Philip took the girl's face in his hands and kissed her softly. Not many knew, but Philip had never kissed a girl before. He wanted the kiss to be special, with someone special. He really did hit the jackpot there.