Chapter XXV:

Chapter XXV:

Confiding

   Theo was hoping to sneak out of the house without her father noticing. She quickly scribbled out a note, placing it on the counter.

   Out for breakfast with Ms. Schuyler Church. I'll see you when I return. I love you. - Theo

   Theo grabbed her coat off of the coat rack in the entryway and slipped it on. She placed her hand on the cold, metal door handle, twisting it slowly. "Where are you going, Theo?" Damn it. Theo released the doorknob, slowly turning to face her father. "Sneaking out this early?" He asked, leaning his back against a wall.

   After a gesture to the kitchen, Theo spoke. "I left you a note, Daddy. It's on the kitchen counter if you'd like to go and read it." She said, rubbing her hands on her dress. It was a beautiful purple-blue color. Her jacket was a shade of brown and it was big, fuzzy and warm.

   "Or you could just tell me. We're both right here, aren't we?" Theo pressed her lips together at her father's stubbornness. He was only stubborn when it came to her, and Theo hated it. Aaron has tried to convince her that it was 'a dad thing.'

   "I'm going to breakfast with Ms. Angelica Schuyler Church. We've had it planned for a week now." Aaron nodded. He knew Angelica. Before Theodosia, Aaron had tried to win the woman's hand. He had failed miserably and was incredibly embarrassed over the whole matter.

   "Okay, Theo." Aaron said softly. "Go on, have fun." The girl smiled at her father, running over to him, placing a kiss on her father's cheek before dashing out of her home. Instead of trudging through the snow, Theo hopped in a carriage and rode through town to a small tavern, where she'd be meeting Angelica.

   When the young woman walked inside, there wasn't many people inside. A few employees wandered around the space. Her eyes scanned the crowd, stumbling upon Angelica quickly. The woman flashed Theo a bright smile as soon as their eyes met. She made her way over to the small table, taking a seat across from the woman. "Theodosia, dear, it's good to see you."

   "Thank you for inviting me, Angelica. I've missed your company." Theo said sweetly. It was hard for some to believe that she was just fifteen. She spoke like a wise woman and had an old soul. Angelica patted her hand comfortingly.

   "In your letter, you said you had something urgent to tell me. What was it, dear?" Theo figured it best to confide in Angelica about Jospeh Alston. Angelica had been in an arranged marriage after all. She's the only person that Theo knew who had been, so it only seemed logical to confide in her rather than someone like Eliza, who married simply for her love of Alexander.

    "It's about marriage, Angelica, but not a marriage to Philip. A marriage to another man." She said as a waiter placed two glasses of water onto their table. The two thanked the man before getting back to their conversation.

   "Theodosia?" Angelica asked, wearing a confused look on her face. "Do you not love my nephew anymore? You love another man?"

   Theo quickly shook her head, diminishing the thought. "No, of course not. I love Philip with all I have in me, but there's another man. My father is trying to arrange a marriage between myself and a Mr. Jospeh Alston." Angelica nodded, showing that she was listening. "Philip had even asked my father for my hand, but he won't give Joseph Alston a rest." Theo said, exasperated. A waiter came over and the two placed their breakfast orders.

"I'm sorry to hear all of this." Angelica said, taking a sip from her glass of water. "Theodosia, dear, if you're looking for help, I'm afraid I don't know how I would be able to help." Theo looked puzzled. "I can't exactly fight against your father's word, as much as I'd like to and as much as I'd enjoy doing it." Theo knew Angelica was right. She had no say in the matter. "I'm sorry, dear. This really is a horrible mess."

"It's alright, Angelica. I appreciate it anyway." She rested her head in her hands, sighing as she did so. "I don't know what to do." Theo gently rubbed her eyes.

"You're in a very tough position for someone of your age, dear." Angelica said softly, earning Theo's attention. "I wish you wouldn't have to go through it. You of all people deserve to marry for love, and frankly, you're the only young woman worthy of my nephew." Angelica said, getting a blush and a smile from Theo. "Talk to your father, tell him how you feel."

"I try, Angelica, I really do. He just doesn't listen to me. I mean, he listens to me, he just doesn't hear me. Do you understand that?" Angelica nodded. "It's not worth the trouble."

"Try again, make sure that you are heard. Make his listen, make him hear you, dear. Don't stop trying until you're heard." Angelica said, a waiter coming over to deliver their meals. Theo nodded, taking note of the advice. The two women took a break from their conversation to eat their meals. "I do appreciate you confiding in me, Theodosia."

"Well, Angelica, you are a friend of mine. I trust you." Angelica smiled warmly at the young woman. "I don't want to marry Jospeh Alston. I want to marry Philip. I want to spend the rest of my life with him. Not Alston." Theo said in a frustrated tone.

"I know you do, Theodosia, dear. I know you do." Angelica said, patting the girl's hand once more. "Maybe have Philip talk to your father." Theo looked at Angelica like she was insane.

   "My father just might rip him to shreds, Angelica. I don't think that's a good—"

   "Theodosia, just hear me out. Philip needs to make promises to your father. He needs to profess his love for you." Angelica stopped herself. "We'll have Philip talk to his father!" Angelica said, a bit too excited than she probably should have been. "Alexander somehow managed to win my father's approval. He could show Philip."

   "That's actually a good idea." Theo said. Angelica got hung up over the word actually. "You know, I was a little nervous when you first started talking, but I see where you were going now." The two women laughed, continuing to eat their meals and discuss other things beside marriage.

   —————
Updated! I hope you guys enjoyed that! Thank you for reading and for all of the support! Have a wonderful day, loves!