Chapter XXVII:

Chapter XXVII:

The Envy of All

After dancing around off and on for around an hour, Angie and Theo escaped from the crowds into one of the hallways, each holding a glass of some drink that they didn't really know. They sat on a fancy bench, side by side, talking about their dates. Angie wouldn't let Theo go too much into detail when talking about Philip because "That's my brother and that's disgusting." Angie couldn't stop thinking about Georges, and Theo had never seen the young woman so happy before tonight. "I can't believe it. After a whole year of fawning over him, I finally got to be his date." Theo giggled, taking a sip from her glass.

   Now, Theo considered herself a good friend, so she didn't want to Angie that Georges had came to her first and only asked Angie to the Ball as a backup plan. That would crush her. So she didn't need to know. "I'm just happy that you're happy, Ang." She told her, patting her hand gently.

   "I'm happier than ever, Theo." She gushed, smiling brightly. After taking a sip of her drink, she turned to her friend. "And what about you, Theo? How's your night going?"

   Theo smiled to herself for a moment. "Wonderful. Absolutely perfect." And she wasn't lying, her night was absolutely perfect. Anytime she got to spend even a minute with Philip, it was perfect. The quiet hallway was suddenly filled with loud voices and howls of laughter. Philip and Georges rounded the corner, Georges' arm slung over Philip's shoulder.

   "There you are! I found them, Philip!" Georges exclaimed. The two girls looked at each other, holding in laughter. Philip groaned, shoving Georges onto the empty space on the bench. The boy rested his head on the wall, giggling as Philip smoothed out his jacket.

   "He's heavier than he looks, you know." He told the girls. Philip shook his head at his best friend's behavior. "Damn fool is drunk." The two girls looked over at their friend. Angie looked disappointed, and Theo was trying not to laugh. "Also, Angie, Paps is looking for the both of us." Angie groaned, standing up from the bench. Philip looked over at his friend.

   "Don't worry about Georges, I've got him." Theo reassured him. Philip took the girl's hand, placing a kiss on it before him and his sister disappeared down the hall. Theo laid back against the wall, tilting her head to look over at the drunk young man beside her. "Philip's right you know, you're a fool." She said with a small smile.

   "Miss. Angelica Hamilton is great." Georges said, meeting the girl's eyes. "But she's not any Miss. Theodosia Burr." Theo's eyes expanded, not sure of what she just heard. She thought this whole thing was behind them. "Nobody compares to Miss. Theodosia." Was Georges even aware that he was talking to Theodosia herself? Who knows how drunk Georges actually was.

"Georges—"

"I envy my friend, Philip Hamilton. He's stolen Miss. Theodosia's heart. He has perfection. He's loved by the girl who's stolen mine." He said before letting out a laugh. Theo pressed her lips together. Why did she feel guilty? "Miss. Theodosia will never see me as more than her friend, and it breaks my heart."

"Georges—" She tried again.

"Oh well. Some of us are just more deserving than others, I presume." He'd never be satisfied. Georges looked straight on for a moment before turning his head to see Theo. "Miss. Theodosia! I didn't see you there!" He said loudly. Theo shook her head, her eyes watering.