Chapter XXXXII:

Chapter XXXXII:

Blow Us All Away

   November 24, 1801. Philip was too nervous about the duel to tell Theo about it. He locked himself in his bedroom, panicking about what was going down later that day. Why would I do this? I'm so scared.

   Nonetheless, Theodosia did find out about the duel between her husband to be and George Eacker. Angelica Schuyler Church was right, the gossip in New York City was insidious. "Say, did you hear about the duel going down in Weehawken today?"

   "A duel, in Jersey? Between whom?" One older woman asked her friend. The other woman leaned in close, but didn't quiet her voice.

   "Mr. Eacker and Mr. Hamilton." The woman said. Theo wasn't one for gossip but, the last time she listened to gossip, it was right. Her father had ran for president. She scooted closer to the women, listening in on their conversation.

   "Hamilton? Alexander Hamilton?" The woman asked. Theo tensed up at the sound of the name. Her future father in-law.

   The other woman shook her head. "No, no, no." She hissed. "His son." Theo froze, her heart skipping beats. No. "Philip Hamilton." Before her eyes, she was running. Running faster than she ever had before. She gripped her dress tightly in her hands and hopped around ice patches on the street.

   Theo reached the house, gasping for breath in the winter air. The main square was a lot farther from the Hamilton's house than she had remembered it to be. She then banged her knuckles against the door anxiously. Alexander had been the one to open the door. "Miss. Burr. What a pleasant—"

   "With all due respect, Mr. Hamilton, I don't have time to chat. Where is Philip?" Alexander didn't move, despite Theo trying to step inside. "Excuse me, Alexander."

Alexander looked Theo right in the eyes. He lowered his voice to a whisper. "Did he tell you or did you find out yourself?" By the look on Theo's face, Alexander had known the answer. "Don't yell. Eliza doesn't know." Theo shuttered slightly. Eliza didn't know, and Alexander had just confirmed it. The duel was real.

   Alexander stepped out of the way and Theo rushed up the stairs, knocking on Philip's door as soon as she got upstairs. Philip heard, but didn't move from his bed. "Philip." Theo said loudly. She lowered her voice. "Open the damn door."

Philip got up from his bed and swallowed hard before opening the door. The look on her face was clear. She knew. She welcomed herself into his bedroom and Philip was quick to shut the door. He expected yelling.

But Theo didn't yell, not just yet. "Please tell me this is a joke." She said in a cracking voice. Theo was already on the verse of tears. "You are not going to a duel today, right?" She asked, her hands shaking.

Philip stayed silent. Theo grabbed onto Philip's bed frame, steadying herself. Without it, she thought she would collapse. She let tears slip from her eyes, but she didn't sob. She stood there, looking right at him. "Theo—"

"There's no shame in backing down, Philip." She said with a tremor. "You're nineteen dueling a man double your age. There's no shame in that." She told him, gripping the bedpost harder with her hand. Theo was so close to falling and bursting into sobs.

   Philip stepped closer but Theo moved away. She was angry with him for not thinking. "Theo, love, please."

   "No." She told him. "I beg you, I beg you. Please, don't do this." Theo pleaded. The sound of her begs was tearing Philip's heart to shreds. "You don't have to prove anything to anyone. Just let it go, let it slide right by." Then she slipped. Theo collapsed on the floor and Philip rushed to her. "Please." She begged. Theo couldn't bare the thought of losing him. She had already lost her mother, she couldn't lose him.

   Philip took her face in his hands gently, wiping her tears from her cheeks. "I have to defend my father's honor." He said softly. Theo shook her head, refusing to accept his answer.

   "You're father is a grown ass man." Theo spat, not bothered to excuse her language. "He can defend his own honor."

Philip was in the verge of tears himself. "It's not that simple. If I back out, he'll think I'm a coward." He hated that he was putting her through so much pain.

"Who cares what he thinks?" She shot back. "Nobody cares what his opinion of you is. All I care about is you being here, safe. I love you." She said softly. "If you love me, you won't do this."

"I love you, but I have to." Two hours later, Philip had arrived at Weehawken. George Eacker was already there, waiting with his second. Philip had Georges Washington de Lafayette as his second. "Mister Eacker, how was the rest of your show?"

George grunted. "I'd rather skip the pleasantries, let's go. Grab your pistol." Philip did, and so did George. Alexander's guns.

   Philip and George took ten paces. "Look 'em in the eye, aim no higher. Summon all the courage you require. Then slowly and clearly aim your gun towards the sky." Philip whispered.

1...

2...

3...

4...

5...

6...

7... boom.

—————
Final Chapter Countdown: 4!

I'm so sorry for any heartbreak this may have caused. (It'll only get worse, I'm sorry) Thank you guys for reading. All my love to you all!