Chapter XXXXI:

Chapter XXXXI:

Ten Duel Commandments

Big time jump but it's coming to an end, here we go. We're almost done! A few chapters left.

   November 23, 1801. Philip was overjoyed. He was officially done with his school career and in two weeks time, he'd be marrying the love of his life. Everything was going according to plan. Philip knocked on the door of the Burr household, where he was greeted by Aaron Burr. "Congratulations on your graduation, Philip." The man said as he welcomed his future son-in-law inside of his home.

"Thank you, Mr. Burr." Philip said, entering the home. Almost as if it was on cue, the two men heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Theodosia appeared before the two of them.

   Theo dashed over and threw her arms around Philip with a squeal of joy escaping her lips. "I'm beyond proud of you!" She said loudly. Aaron slid out of the room awkwardly, leaving the two in the entryway. "So proud, Mr. Graduate-Of-King's-College." Theo said, getting a laugh out of Philip.

   "Yeah, yeah, that's all good and well,  but that's not what I'm most excited for." Philip didn't have to say more, Theo knew exactly what he was implying. The wedding. Two weeks away.

   "Yes, yes, I know, my love." She said, grazing his cheek with her hand. She was definitely proud of him, and slightly envied him. She had always wanted to go to an actual school, just like Philip had just graduated from.

Philip placed a soft kiss on the young woman's lips before speaking. "I just stopped in quickly." He said, getting a frown from Theo. "Don't pout, I'll be back." He told her reassuringly, taking her hands in his. "I just have some things that I have to attend to." He said, causing Theo to get suspicious. He didn't seem too confident.

   Theo just sighed. She trusted him with whatever he might be doing, and she promised herself she wouldn't be 'one of those girlfriends.' The man leaned in, placing a kiss on her forehead before opening the door behind him. "I love you." She said quickly, just in case.

   "I love you too." Philip took notice of Theo's unnecessary worry and squeezed her hand gently. "I love you. Don't worry." She nodded as he left her house. Theo had a very bad feeling about all of this.

   Philip rushed into town, meeting two young women in the square. "Ladies, I'm lookin for a Mr. George Eacker." He said clearly, forcing a smile in their direction. "He disparaged my father's legacy in front of a crowd. I can't have that, I'm making my father proud."

   The two girls looked at each other, both wearing identical blushes. They knew very well who this young man was. "I saw him just up Broadway a couple of blocks, he was goin' to see a play." One of them cooed.

   Philip nodded and smiled at the women again. "Well, I'll go visit his box." One of the girls leaned into the other one, giggling.

   She smirked at the young man. "God, you're a fox!" She swooned.

   Philip figured he could finish up the conversation faster by playing along with the whole flirting thing. "And y'all look pretty good in ya' frocks. How 'bout when I get back, we all strip down to our socks?" The girls nodded eagerly, letting Philip pass them.

   Philip made his way into the theater, putting on a confident front. "George! George!" Philip hollered up to a balcony. A man poked his head over the rail, wearing a scowl on his face.

   "Shh! I'm tryin' to watch the show!" He yelled.

   "You should have watched your mouth before you talked about my father though!" Philip hollered back. George Eacker let a laugh slip.

   "I didn't say anything that wasn't true. Your father's a scoundrel and so it seems are you." Philip cocked his head at the older man.

   "It's like that?"

   "Yeah, I don't fool around, I'm not your little schoolboy friends." Eacker snapped at the younger man below him.

   "Well, see you on the dueling ground. That is unless you want to step inside and go now!" Eacker leaned back in his seat.

   "I know where to find you, piss off, I'm watchin' this show now." Philip marched out of the theater. He stood on the side of the road in shock of what he had just done. He had just challenged someone to a duel.

   "No, Philip, no." He told himself. He hadn't thought before he spoke, and it came back and bit him. Hard. "What were you thinking?" He asked himself, pressing his hands to his temples. He put his stupidity to the back of his mind and headed home.

   Philip entered his father's office, making sure to shut the door behind him. He couldn't have his mother hearing this. "I challenged someone to a duel." Philip said bluntly. Alexander turned around from his seat in the desk.

   "What?"

   "Pops, if you had only heard the shit he said about you. I doubt you would have let it slide and I was not about to." Philip said quickly.

   "Slow down!" But he didn't.

   "I came to ask you for advice, this is my very first duel. They don't exactly cover this subject in boarding school."

   Alexander got up from his desk, walking over towards his son. "Did your friends attempt to negotiate a peace?"

   "He refused to apologize, we had to let the peace talks cease." Philip explained to his surprising calm and collected father.

   "Where is this happening?"

   "Across the river in Jersey."

   "Everything is legal in New Jersey." The father and son said in unison. Alexander placed his hand on his son's shoulder. "Alright, so this is what you're gonna do. Stand there like a man until Eacker is in front of you. When the time comes, fire your weapon in the air. This will put an end to the whole affair."

   Philip stuttered. "B-but what if he decides to shoot, then I'm a goner."

   Alexander shook his head. "No, he'll follow suit if he's truly a man of honor. To take someone's life, that is something you can't shake. Philip, your mother can't take another heartbreak." He said, referring to The Reynolds Pamphlet.

    "Father!"

   "Promise me. You don't want this young man's blood on your conscience." Alexander insisted.

   "Okay, I promise." Philip nodded.

   "Come back home when you're done, take my guns. Be smart, make me proud, son." Philip took the guns and began to leave the office to hide the guns in his bedroom. "And son?" Alexander said, grabbing Philip's attention. "You may want to tell Theodosia before anyone else does."

—————
Final Chapter Countdown: 5!

I hope you guys enjoyed this very reference-filled chapter! Thank you for reading, voting and commenting. It doesn't go ignored! Much love!