Chapter XXIII:

Chapter XXIII:

Flirty Frenchman

For the longest time, Theodosia didn't have many friends in New York. Her only friends were Philip and Angie. Not a lot of people wanted to be friends with the girl with the dead mother, and nobody wanted to be friends with the daughter of stands-for-nothing Aaron Burr, so Theo only had those two. Over the years, Theo had gained adult friends like Eliza, Angelica, and even Alexander Hamilton, but nobody new who was around her age.

One day in December, Angie and Theo decided to walk to King's College to go see Philip after his classes finished up. If Theo had learned anything from that walk, it was that Angie talked a lot. Theo had zoned in and out of the conversations, catching bits and pieces of what the girl was saying. The girls were standing by a frozen over water fountain when they heard the bell ring from the school. Suddenly, dozens of boys spilled out the doors of King's College. Angie and Theo kept their eyes peeled for Philip, spotting his big mop of hair pretty quickly.

As he walked closer to the pair, she recognized a boy walking beside him. What was his name? She couldn't remember. When Philip spotted her, his face instantly lit up as he began to walk faster, eventually pulling the girl into a hug. "What are you doing here?" He asked, smiling at Theo, then Angie. Philip's friend stood beside him.

"We wanted to surprise you." Theo told him. She couldn't help but feel a pair of eyes watching her, and they weren't Philip's. His friend was staring at her, smiling softly. Theo also took notice of Angie, staring helplessly at the boy. "It was your sister's idea, really." Theo gently nudged the girl, breaking her trance. Angie nodded, smiling at her brother.

When the couple split apart, the other boy quickly grabbed Theo's hand, planting a gentle kiss on it. "I believe we've met briefly, but I'm Georges Washington Lafayette. It's a pleasure to see you again, Miss. Theodosia." He said kindly. Georges had a thin, but noticeable French accent, which Theo assumed he shared with his father, Major General Marquis De Lafayette.

"It's a pleasure to see you too." Although Theodosia had only seen paintings of the man, Georges looked remarkably like his father. Theo looked over at Angie, seeing her gazing at Georges once more. Does she have feelings for him? She just disregarded it and went back to Philip. As soon as they linked arms, the four teenagers began making their way back into town. Theo loved the look on Philip's face after he got out of school. His expression was filled joy every time. In fact, Theo's favorite stories were the ones Philip told of school.

Georges spent his walk trying to chime into Philip and Theo's conversations, desperate to start a conversation with his best friend's girlfriend. Georges was well aware that it was a lost cause to try and win Theodosia's affections, but it was worth a try, right? Georges Washington Lafayette was never one to back down from a challenge. To Theo's surprise, Philip took notice of this and would 'playfully' shove Georges away from them.

The four arrived at the Hamilton house within minutes, brushing off all of their snow onto the porch. Angie and Philip went off into the kitchen to get drinks and snacks for their guests, leaving Georges and Theo alone in the living room. "Theodosia, how've you been, dear?" He asked, flashing her a charming smile.

   Theo smiled at the boy who was even taller than Philip. "I've been well, Georges." She said plainly. "What about you, Mr. Lafayette?" Theo folded her arms over her chest. "How have you been?" There previous meeting was more of Philip's douche-y friend hitting on her than an actual meeting.

   "Content." He shared, not mentioning his father who was overseas, rotting away in a prison cell. The tall French boy rested his elbow on top of the fireplace mantle, smiling softly at the fiery girl. "Theodosia, are you planning on attending The Winter's Ball?"

   Theo had forgotten all about the upcoming Winter's Ball. It was just two weeks away! How could she have forgotten? It would be her and Philip's first public appearance together. The son of Alexander Hamilton and the daughter of Aaron Burr. That'll surely be a conversation piece. "I am. Are you?"

   "Indeed, I am." Georges waited a few moments before speaking. "What the heck do I got to do for you to go to the ball with me?" Theo shook her head, thinking that it was a joke. She was wrong. She laughed softly before looking at his face. He was completely serious. "Will you go to the ball with me?" Before she had a chance to answer, Philip and Angie came into the living room, carrying drinks on a tray.

   "Sorry it took so long." Angie said in a bitter tone. "Someone couldn't decide on a drink to serve." Angie cast a sharp glare towards her brother as she slid the tray onto the top of the piano. Everyone took one, taking the occasional sips from the glasses. Philip was extremely affectionate (more affectionate than usual, because he always was) towards Theo while they were chatting. This made Theo and Georges feel awkward, the boy's question still fresh in their minds.

   He was placing kisses on her cheeks and forehead, holding her hand, giving it gentle squeezes, and wrapping his arms around her. It was like constant slaps to the face for Georges. Why did he have these feelings for a girl who was already involved with his very best friend? He didn't understand his feelings. It was all too confusing.

   The four spent the whole afternoon together chatting, laughing, and playing games. Theo and Philip even played a few songs on the piano for Angie and Georges. It was just like when they were children, playing piano for their mothers. When it began to get dark, Theo had to go home. She promised her father she'd have dinner with him. "I'll escort her home." Georges quickly offered. As soon as the pair stepped off the porch, Georges spoke. "So, did you think about my question?"

   Theo inhaled sharply. "Georges, you are aware that I'm involved with Philip, right?" The young man nodded. "That means I'll be attending the Winter's Ball with him." Georges shrugged. It was worth a shot. "I think you should ask Angie though, she seems quite fond of you."

   The two arrived on Theo's doorstep. "I'll consider it. Have a nice night, Miss. Burr." He said, placing a kiss on her hand.

   She rolled her eyes playfully, opening the door behind her. "Have a nice night, Georges." Theo took off her coat as soon as she got inside and shut the door. "Daddy, I'm home." Theo walked herself into the kitchen seeing not one, but two men standing there.

—————
Yikes. I don't know if I like this or not. Never the less, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I love you all so much! Have a wonderful day!