Chapter Nine

"Do you know what time it is?" Helen calls from the ground floor.

I scoffed at my ill-fated luck before replying knowing damn well where she was headed with this.

"I didn't miss curfew did I?"

Both Victor and Helen just stared up at me, Helen's stare a bit more aggressive. All I wanted was to take a nap before I passed out and I gave a lazy grin amidst all the tension I knew was brewing and a little salute. I turned stiffly and headed towards my room, and Helen's voice attacked my eardrums again.

"Where do you think you're going?!"

I growled, and continued walking to my room without missing a beat and gave no replies. The door slammed loudly behind me after I walked through and flopped onto the bed feeling exhausted, and mildly drowsy from the beers I had been drinking earlier. My head pounded from a need to nap or I would end up having a splitting headache.

I may have drifted off for some time when a banging on my bedroom door stirred me awake. Pissed, I opened my eyes slowly while moaning very loudly so the knocker could hear.

"Go away!"

The hammering on the door didn't stop, instead, it came again and I buried my face in the pillow groaning. A few seconds passed before there were more rappings on the door, this time louder than before.

"What do you want Victor?!" I shout while spitting profanities.

"To talk," He calls.

The pillow muffled my screams and I kicked and tossed about before sitting up. Of course, it was Victor if it was Helen maybe I would have been picking the door from off the floor. God, I hated being bugged, but it was still better him than Helen.

"Fine," I grumble and the door opened and he entered.

He cleared his throat before he crossed the room, still dressed in his work uniforms and gestured to the bed with his hand as if asking if he could sit.

"Sure, why not?" I say grumpily.

Victor sat on the edge of the bed and ran a stubby hand through his short messy brown hair. He wasn't very short but he wasn't very tall either which left him somewhere around five feet nine inches. Victor was a bit bulky, from all the workouts he did but the look was ideal for him. Most women would say it made him look more attractive, but it just made him look okay for a guy his height.

His hands fell back to his side and my eyes flashed to the gun strapped to his police duty belt and his eyes flashed to it as well. Helen liked guns just as much as she liked motorcycles and cold pizza, which was not a lot, so she despised Victor having the thing around. With one of his muscular hands, he pulled it from the police duty belt and held it so I could see that the safety was on but I only shrugged my shoulders not really caring if it was on or not. I sat up more erect across from him and he set it down in the middle between us the handle facing my direction. I looked down at it then back up to him, if he thought this was going to intimidate me then he needed to think again.

He scratched his head again, a bad habit of his I noticed, then he spoke and I stared at him with a straight face.

"We got a call about what may or may not have been, a possible break in..." He begins with his eyes locked on me and I barely even blinked.

"When did that happen?" I interject before he could get a chance to finish his statement.

He didn't break the stare and his mellow voice spoke up again, "Sometime, around ten I've been led to believe."

He seemed to be picking at something, but I pretended to be oblivious to what he was talking about and challenged him with a smirk.

"Any suspects?"