Chapter Ten

Victor was standing on the porch with a blanket in hand when I got home. As soon as I stepped onto the porch he threw it over the shoulders of my shivering body. Adam handed me a cup of tea and I didn't know whether to be thankful or to toss it away. The rain had showered down heavily hindering my ability to see clearly through all the hair that was matted to my head and face and the thick curtains of rain. The clothes I had been wearing was soaked down to the very last seam and thread as the water pelted off my body like a waterfall, leaving my shoes soaking as if I had stepped in a giant puddle of some sort.

Helen hadn't said anything since I returned and she didn't show up when I returned either. Victor whispered something about her being upstairs in their bedroom, not that it needed to know information or that it mattered at all. She wasn't much different from my father, James. Honestly, they were soul mates, born and bred and undoubtedly made for each other, but just because they fit perfectly together didn't mean they were meant to be. Their relationship had been on the rocks since the start, they were better off being apart and I was better off not knowing either of them. I scoffed at the thought of moving again. Just when I had finally begun to like the place I'd have to leave. It was the first time I'd ever felt like I truly belonged somewhere, that was until that asshole Blade had to ruin it for me. Deciding who I detested more, Adam or Blade was like making a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea, both terrible options. It was almost like going with one person but still ending up getting bit in the ass by the other.

My tired aching feet made it's way up the stairs to my bedroom, still shivering but at least I was semi-dry and warm. The windows in my bedroom were cracked a bit, I closed them to stop the wind and a bit of rain from blowing in. A completely naked Emmett was standing in his bedroom with his back to the window facing my room. He seemed to have forgotten to close his curtains again, either that or he had no problem baring his naked body for the whole world to see or maybe just me. For a second I thought about taking another picture but frowned at the idea and only dragged the curtains closing it instead.

There was no point in thinking about anything else when Helen was about to send me packing back to James and his annoying wife. Not to mention their two dogs and one million felines. I could understand persons getting dogs as pets, but why would anyone get cats, let alone more than one. I happened to like their two shiny black coat Great Danes, T-Rex and Captain. I didn't even bother to try and memorize the names of the cats because quite frankly I didn't care.

Helen annoyed me more times than I could count but she wasn't all that bad of a parent and I didn't help her situation much did I? Suddenly, I started feeling responsible and groaned deeply as I for some unknown reason made my way to the master bedroom. My knuckles rapped quietly on the door, and Helen's voice answered commanding me to enter. The door opened and I stood in the door frame but didn't go further than there. I wasn't going to apologize for what I said because it was true and until they both faced up to the fact then I'd stand by it.

Helen stared at me without uttering a word but with a doleful look in her eyes. I groaned under my breath, honestly, I didn't want to apologize, but apologies were a good place to start sometimes. For the first time, I let my pride falter a bit, even as I bit down on my lip and forced the words out.

"I shouldn't have said what I said."

A full minute elapsed before she uttered a reply and I began thinking she wasn't going to say anything. After a few more seconds she replied, the look on her face hard to read.

"People make mistakes, even adults," she finally replies.

I could tell her statement was focused on the part where I'd put her out to be a horrible parent. That must have stung coming from me. I honestly think it would. We remained silent for a bit and I replied a while after I had sorted through my feelings.