Chapter Fifteen

Oswald was late. I made one sweep of the lot for his charcoal coloured car, as I stormed away from where I had parked to where the schools entrance was. I didn't spot his car, but I was sure it hadn't been in the lot and it wasn't just because I was too overwhelmed with anger that I had overlooked it.

The parking lot was emptying now that everyone was headed inside the school building. The second bell indicating that everyone should now be in their classes chimed but the hallway was still packed by more than half the school parading in bundles and groups mindlessly gossiping. It was hard to tell how many had witnessed the confrontation between Blade and myself. I picked up a few hushed whispers as I headed down the packed hallway and caught a few hasty glances in my direction before they quickly averted their eyes and pretended they had not been discussing what they had happened.

Annoyed and wearing a grim expression I climbed the stairs to the second floor and students hastily cleared the way as I passed. I took a right turn when I got to the landing and walking pass a couple classes with persons quickly settling in before I found the math class.

The first period of the day was math. I entered the class and sat in the first seat in the front like I had done at my very first class. More and more students were now filing into the class and I let my bag drop to the floor. This was one class I didn't share with Blade and a part of me was grateful I didn't have to spend double period in the same room as the jerk.

My jaw clenched just thinking about him. He had some nerve, nicknaming me Tinker Bell as if I was some fictional character.

Ossey hurried into the classroom and I frowned.

"Hey," he greeted, falling into the seat next to me.

"You're here early," I comment looking down at the floor.

"My brother borrowed my car, I had to board a bus," he explains looking over at me.

"If you needed a ride I could have given you one," I reply a bit more brusquely than I intended to.

A bit of silence passed between us and Oswald sat rather still just staring.

"What?" I question this time trying to sound like my normal self.

"No offence Secret, but you drive a Beetle."

I faced the front of the class again and mumbled under my breath, "none taken."

For a second I thought he had noticed the bitterness in my voice. It was hard to tell if he did but just simply had ignored it. My mouth twitched. When did everyone suddenly start hating Beetles?

Mrs. Reynolds the math teacher began the lesson. We hadn't even been in here fifteen minutes and half the class already looked dead.

I sat in a sulk and recited the words in my head.

Death by trigonometry and the rest is history.

My note book laid open on the desk, the most I had done since entering the class. The pen moved across the page like a sloth as the words turned to a chant. Meanwhile Oswald sat next to me concentrating hard and punched away on the calculator. My eyes lingered on him for a second and he caught me staring and I sighed and looked away.

"What?" He queries setting the calculator down and staring at me.

"Nothing."

"Aren't you doing the rest?" He asks annoyingly.

"I did two and thats too much," I mumble.

He stared at me prolonged and in silence. I frowned.