Chapter Twenty Eight

Phoebe didn't bother to show up for work the next day, which was beyond selfish of her. I was forced to tend to all the customers, as was in fact her job, as well as putting those stupid bouquets together. It took ten minutes to put together a bouquet that would have naturally taken Phoebe a minute.

How could she not show up when she knew very well that I was horrible at putting bouquets together? I had to try very hard not to destroy the stupid fragile things. My very first bouquet that morning looked as if, it was put together by a three year old or perhaps a newborn.

As the hours went by my frustration only grew worse, which was absolutely no surprise. I kept muttering under my breath bitterly and everyone kept staring at me as if I'd gone psychotic. After a while most people started going to the other girl who worked here, which was great for me because then I was finally left alone. For most part of my newly found freedom I sat with my feet on the table ignoring everyone.

There was the distinct tinkling sound as the door opened and a very tall boy sauntered into the floral shop. My frown started to disappear slightly as he got closer and I never thought I'd be relieved to see that mass of curly hair and boyish grin. Ossey's grin grew wider as he approached.

"You look miserable," he jeers in his husky voice and rather thick accent.

"I feel miserable," I reply slightly annoyed yet slightly relieved to have someone to talk to.

"How can I help?" Ossey offers without a seconds thought which put a grin on my face.

"I knew there was a reason I loved you," I respond trying to keep my sudden happiness from showing too much.

Ossey chuckled and I gave him a mock punch on the shoulder and grinned. He propped his elbow against a shelf and combed his fingers through his curly hair just like a certain asshole I know, did oftenly.

"Where's your friend?... Phoebe I think her name is." Ossey asks looking around.

I gave a scowl and muttered, "she bailed on me, I hate her."

Ossey gave a chuckle, "awwe look who's sad her best bud didn't show up to work to keep her company," he teases.

I pouted and gave him an eye roll.

Ossey's grin got annoyingly bigger.

"Oh c'mon Cece just admit you love her and... you don't really hate everyone it's only a pretence."

"She's grown on me a bit," I admit with a frown, "just like you have, and as for everyone else... I hate everyone else."

Ossey sighed and stared at me through disappointed eyes, which made me slightly uncomfortable.

"Well, since there's not much work to do, I don't think you need my help," Ossey says breaking the silence.

"Wait..." I respond getting to my feet, "actually I need a break."

I walked around to where Ossey was and tapped him on the shoulder.

"You're taking over, be back in an hour or two or three," I add putting my hands into my pockets and leaving.

I could feel his eyes on my back but I didn't look back at him, just hurried away before he could protest. The drive from the floral shop to the convenience store across town didn't take long, it could have taken ages but sadly it didn't. A shouting Bob was outside shaking his fist in the air as a car sped off down the street and a disembodied group of laughter carried through the air. Bob swore loudly as the car disappeared from sight then disappeared right back into the store roiled. I parked the Beetle and entered the convenience store where I found him still cursing noisily under his breath.