Chapter Forty Two

"I know it's last minute but can you tell Phoebe there's a party tonight next door?" I plead, following Helen around the kitchen as again she checked her events calendar and was blatantly ignoring me.

"A party?... Where?" Victor's disembodied voice asks.

Five seconds later he walked into the kitchen. His eyebrow furrowed as I followed Helen around with my face screwed up in annoyance.

"Tonight, next door," I reply pursing my lips and looking from Helen to him.

His eyes gleamed when he saw her and I scoffed under my breath and he cleared his throat and looked back at me.

"Left or right?" He asks.

"Right."

"Why are there so many parties lately?" Victor asks  walking to the kitchen counter.

"Just us trying to have fun, better alternative to getting ignored when you ask for a favour," I said with bitterness in my voice.

"Where's your cell phone?" Helen asks,  finally looking away from her own cellphone after ignoring me for almost ten minutes.

"I left it at school," I say simply staring back at her.

"How did that happen?" Victor queries pouring himself some coffee.

"Okay, what's up with all this interrogating?" I ask staring at Victor, "and the neglect?" I add now staring at Helen.

Victor finished pouring his coffee and took a sip and inhaled deeply with a satisfied look on his face.

"Okay then," Victor intones, "have fun, curfew is at eleven."

"In the morning? Why so late?" I ask feigning surprise.

"Hey, don't push it," Victor warns sipping on his coffee and heading to the door, "I just might show up and turn the music off at eight... in the night."

I chuckled and Victor backed out of the room. Helen was staring at me when I turned to look at her and my smile faded and turned to a frown. We stared at each other in silence for a full minute before she spoke.

"I'll let Phoebe know," she says calmly.
I sighed and rolled my eyes, "was it that bad?" I ask quite sassily.

"Hey," she utters in an even sassier tone, "Victor's way may be reporting the disturbance sweety, but annoy me one more time and I'll be following you around at that party all night."

"You wouldn't," I exclaim in real shock this time no feigning it.

"Oh I would," she says chillingly then she cracked a smile at the look of horror on my face.

I frowned and took up my satchel from the chair.

"I'm going to school," I scoff, "better be late than never right."

"Have a nice day," she calls.

"You too," I mumble and disappeare.

The Beetle strolled pass Blade's house and his Harley was still outside. I frowned and turned the stereo on. Music seeped from the speakers but I paid very little attention to what song was playing. Within a few minutes I pulling into the parking lot then parking the Beetle. Ossey's car was parked in the space next to the Beetle and I craned to see him. He was across the parking lot with Hailey holding hands and she blushed at something he said. There was the sound of a motorcycle entering the parking lot and for a split second I stiffened. The space next to the Beetle was empty and he parked the Harley in the space and I witnessed it all in slow motion as he got off and took the helmet from his head and licked his lip then cracked a smile when he saw the Beetle. I sank back into the seat and he knocked on the window and I sighed and rolled it down.