Midnight - Preface

If you travel to Washington State there is one place you have to be sure to visit.
No, not Seattle or Olympic National Park, though both are very lovely and I suggest visit them as well.
The place I'm talking about is an Indian reservation so small you'd miss it if you blinked. I think the population of La Push was 371 last time I checked.
  Now I may be bias because my family has lived here for centuries, but I think this tiny town is absolutely wonderful, there is no place that I would rather live.
If you come here and take a look around you will probably think,
"Why would you bring me here?"
  I will admit, it isn't the prettiest place, as far as real estate goes. If you're looking to buy a house, you probably wont be interested in what we have here. Unless old wooden shacks with chipping paint is your style. We don't have a mall here, or any fine dinning. The closest movie theater is an hour and thirty minutes away.
However, the scenery is to die for. We have beautiful beaches, even though it's usually too cold to go swimming. There is also a vast forest that surround our village and even a cozy Lodge you can stay at. There really isn't much to do here, unless you like cliff diving, hiking, or other outdoor activities.
You're probably wondering how this place is special.
  Despite what you're thinking, this place really is one of a kind. Our people are full of culture and history, you will hear some stories later.
  There are a chosen group of young men that live in La Push who are blessed with a gift, even though most of them wouldn't call it a gift.
They are our protectors.
There is one person I know and believe to be even more special then the Protectors.
My youngest granddaughter, Lunetta. And I'm not just saying that because she is my granddaughter. I've know since she was young that she was special, but I could have never dreamed up exactly how extraordinary she would become.
  On the reservation, away from all the old wooden buildings, is a house, unlike any of the other houses in La Push. The house is located on top of a cliff, overlooking the ocean. You have to take a private rode to get there. The long driveway to this house is surrounded by trees hundred of years old, but you can still catch glimpses of the breath taking beach if you look carefully. After about 3 minutes of driving, you reach a clearing and your eyes get wide because you can hardly believe that you are still in the same town one horse town as before.
  To say that this house looks like a palace is almost an understatement. The driveway is paved with stone, a separate path leads to their multiple garages. They even have one of those fancy water fountains when you pull up. The house is two stories, with so many windows it would take you all day to clean them, but of course, they have people that do that for them.
  Walking up the steps to the door makes you feel tiny. The pillars are at least 10 feet tall and the door is 7 or 8 feet. Once inside you are met with a grand staircase that looks as if the only appropriate attire to wear as you strut down is a full length ball gown.
  The house, or a more appropriate word to call it is mansion or castle, has white marble flooring through out the downstairs and everything is decorated like a picture straight out of a magazine. But this house doesn't have the cold feeling like no on lives here. They have some art work hanging, but the wall is mostly covered with family pictures. The kitchen is where it starts to seem more lived in. It is still spotless and perfect like the rest of the house, except for the occasional muddy paw prints, which of course are mopped up seconds after. You can see shopping list and reminders pinned on the stainless steel refrigerator. The appliances like a toaster and a mixing bowl and a coffee pot are placed on the marble counters and not stored away in the dark wood cupboards, never to be used. A water dog's water and food bowl is against the wall to floor windows that overlook their pristine backyard, and a view of the ocean. A fruit bowl sits on the island countertop, and it's real fruit too, not plastic.
  I could go on and on describing every detail the beautiful house, but I will spare you.
  They appearance of the house isn't the only thing that's special. The people that live there are the most down to earth, hard working people you will ever meet. They have nice cars, closets full of expensive clothes, and more money than you and me will ever see in our life times, but you can be sure that they know how fortunate they are.
  The youngest member family that lives here is Lunetta, my granddaughter, the extraordinary one I was telling you about. Even in our family she stands out. From the ice blue eyes she gets from her grandma Mary on her mother's side, to her free spirited, fireball personality. She is the type of person that you'll only meet once in a lifetime.
  I will let her tell you the rest of her story.