No New News

"There's nothing new, Lunetta." La Push police officer Ryan Riverside tells me in between bites of the cupcake I brought him.
I sigh, exasperated, trying to ignore the knot forming in my stomach."Come on! How is it that no one has found any evidence at all?"
"I'm sorry, we're doing the best we can, there's just only so many places we can look." Ryan licks some frosting off of his finger.
I start to get annoyed. "Only so many places?! She could be anywhere in the world!"
Ryan looks startled at my yelling, I'm usually a pretty laid back person, unless you get on my nerves, like now.
"It's only the six of us that work here, and we have other things that we have to tend to. Not to mention we don't have a lot of control outside of the reservation."
I hear ruckus through the open door behind Ryan and see his senior officers Larry Thomson and Levi Clark playing each other at ping pong. I scowl. "Oh yeah, a ping pong tournament is much more important than finding my sister."
"Lunetta please-,"
"Come on Ryan! You know Danica! You graduated with her. This isn't a random person, this is one of our tribe members!"
Ryan frowned,"I told you, there isn't much we can do outside of our own land. We don't work for the U.S. Governments."
Ryan could tell that I wasn't happy with that answer so he added," If you aren't too busy you can stop at Forks Police office and see if they've found anything."
"Do you think they might know something that we don't?" I ask hopefully, though the knot in my stomach didn't go away.
Ryan shrugged," Maybe. They don't share much information with us because they don't look at us as real police. This is really the first big case that we've ever had..."
"I guess it's worth a shot!" I should know by now not to go against my "gut" feeling, but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't at least go down there and talk to them.
"Thanks for the cupcakes, by the way," Ryan eyes the plate.
A small smirk forms on my face.
"Why are you laughing?" Ryan narrows his eyes.
"I probably should have told you this ten minutes ago, but you have chocolate frosting on your nose," I giggle.
Ryan turns red and uses the back of his hand to wipe his nose. He chuckles and tried to transfer it on to me instead.
I don't think I've ever moved faster.
"Dot even think about it!" I warned,"This shirt is one of my brand new designs, I'm trying it out to see how everyone likes it before I put it in stores. That's not going to work if there's brown frosting on my white shirt!"
Ryan put his hands up in defeat,"I'm sorry, I should've know better that to mess with a girl and her clothes."
"You're so right." I took 5 of the cupcakes off of the plater that was in my hand and set them down, swatting Ryan's hand as he tried to take a second one.
"Save them for the other guys, please?"
"Can't I just have one more? You still have like six more on that plate!"
"No way, I need these!"
"For what?" Ryan said,"I know that you aren't going to eat them, you'd be too afraid of messing up your figure, or whatever."
"This is bribery." I said as I was halfway out the door.

The police station in La Push was just a small, rinky-dink one story building with a single jail cell, but the Forks station wasn't that big of a step up.
At the front desk was a Asian man, probably in his mid thirties who was typing away on the old computer in front of him. He paused when he saw me.
"Hi," I smiled as I walked over to him,"My name is Lunetta Lahote," I extended my hand to him.
He shook my hand,"I'm Deputy Steve. What is is that I can help you with?"
"Um, my sister is Danica Lahote-"
I was cut off by the telephone ringing.
"I'm sorry ma'am, I have to take this call real quick."
"No problem, I'm not in a big hurry."
"Feel free to sit down, there's coffee and some cookies over there too. Help yourself.
"Thanks." I placed the cupcakes down on the desk and walked over to where the coffee pot was.
"Hello, Forks Police Department, this is Deputy Steve...Oh, hey, Bella. I'll go get him."
"I'll be right back to help you," Deputy Steve told me.
"Take you're time."
I usually drink my coffee with some stevia and either almond or coconut milk, but they sure as hell didn't have anything like that here that here, so black it was.
I took a sip of the coffee I had just poured and had to stop myself from gagging.
I proceeded to pour about half a cup of sugar and some of that weird powdered coffee creamer before it tasted halfway decent.
Deputy Steve returned but this time with another man, a little taller than him, with light skin and a brown mustache, probably in his 40's.
The man with the mustache answered the phone sounding worried,"Bella, is everything ok?"
I zoned off when I saw Danica's face on the "missing people's" board.
Deputy Steve made his way over to where I stood,"I'm sorry for the interruption, what were you saying?"
"I just wanted to see if you have you might have found anything new or have any leads about my sister, Danica Lahote."
I tried to sound hopeful, but that gut feeling came back again, this time stronger. I felt a chill go down my spine.
Deputy Steve frowned,"No...Unfortunately there hasn't been anything."
Ding, ding! My gut feelings is right again; even though I wish it wasn't.
"The only evidence we ever found was the blood, which there was a decent amount of."
"But still not too much, right?" I asked,"I mean there's a big chance she's out there somewhere."
"Yes there is. It's been months though, with zero leads."
The man with the mustache was off the phone now and walked over to us.
"How are you doing? I'm Chief Swan," he said with an extended hand.
He had ruff hands and an unrefined look.
"Lunetta Lahote. I'm doing ok, how about yourself, sir?"
"Can't complain. Lahote...I know that name from somewhere. Do you live here in Forks?"
"No, I'm actually from the La Push Reservation."
Chief Swan gave a half smile,"Oh, that's right! A couple of my good friends live there. You know the Black family and the Clearwaters?"
I smiled," Actually, yes, I do."
"Are you friends with Jacob or Leah?"
"Um no, not really. My cousin Paul is friends with Jacob."
I've known Jacob Black my whole life. We both grew up in La Push. Our grandparents knew each other, and their grandparents before that, and so on. I had a childhood crush on him that seemed to last forever. He was just that person who you couldn't help smiling when you were around. Between the ages of eleven and twelve we hung out almost every day. We would hold hands and sneak into the forest sometimes to give each other a kiss. It was all so innocent and pure. One time during a pow wow Danica caught us kissing and told everyone. It was so embarrassing.
After that, my family left on a three month trip durning summer break to tour Europe. When I came back Jacob was hanging out with his guys friends.
He takes no interest in me or any other girls that I know of anymore.
I do not anymore though.
I've had a steady boyfriend for three years now. His name is Will, his family is from Forks. I was working at a restaurant my dad opened in Forks called Pacific Pizza at the time.
I was still obsessed with Jacob Black when I met Will. He is three years older than me, and he was very popular at his school. I was shocked and flattered that he was interested in me, a younger girl.
He's a good guy, comes from a nice family. He has some anger problems, but he is always sweet when he's with me. He treats me like a princess.
I know I'm madly in love with Will, but for some reason whenever Jacob Black is mentioned my heart starts beating out of my chest and my mouth goes dry, I forget how to talk.
To get the attention off of myself I said,"I'm guessing you were friends with Harry as well?"
The Sheriff paused. I could tell that he was a guy who hid his emotions.
"Yeah... Harry was a great friend of mine."
"I'm sorry for you loss. I knew Harry my whole life, he was great."
Chief Swan gave a small smile and and,"What was it you in came to talk about today?"
Every time I thought about Danica my heat sank.
"I was coming to see if you've gotten anymore information or anything about my sister, Danica."
The Sheriff's brow furrowed,"That was your sister, huh?"
I huffed,"Yes she is my sister. Deputy Steve let me know that there's no new news to report."
"Unfortunately he's right." Chief Swan stuffed his hands into his pockets.
I let out a deep exhale, apparently I forgot what breathing was. I wanted to bang my head into a wall in frustration.
Chief Swan thought for a second,"Do you think there's anyway that she left and maybe doesn't want to be found?"
I scoffed,"No way possible. My sister was - I mean she is the most responsible person I've ever met. She managed our bed and breakfast in La Push and she has a four year old son who she adores. She would never be able to stand being away from him for more than a day, let alone just up and leave all together."
Chief Swan nodded and his brow furrowed even deeper.
"I'm sorry. Were, I mean are, you and your sister close?"
I shrugged,"Yes and no. She's the oldest and always use to boss me and my other sister, Sol, around, which never went over well with me," I laughed and than frowned thinking back,"When I think about it now, she usually had my best interest at heart, just trying to look out for me, but I resented it. I was such a bitch to her." Chief Swan and Deputy Steve both looked shocked at my language. "Sorry!" I added with a smile.
It's a good thing the door opened after that because I know I would have gone on and on talking their ears off.
A dark, thin man came in, looking very concerned.
I turned to Deputy Steve and Chief Swan,"Thank you for all you're help. I left some cupcakes on the desk over there for you."
"Thank you!"
"You didn't have to do that."
They both said at the same time.
I took one last look at the picture of my sister.
"I hope you both have a good day."
"You as well. And be safe out there." Chief Swan demanded.
"Will do." I said without a look back.