Imprint

"No, nothing has changed." Cherri sighed over the phone.
I wanted to bang my head against the wall. The day after Sierra was taken to the hospital she was pronounced to be in a coma. The CT scan came back. Some brain swelling, but not too much that we should worry.
"Are you there?" Cherri asked when I didn't say anything.
My voice trembled,"Yes, I'm here."
"Lunette, please don't take this the wrong way, but I think that you should stop calling so much."
I felt bad. All the pain I'm feeling, Cherri and the rest of Sierra's family must be going through so much worse.
"I'm sorry, I'm being selfish," I apologized,"I can't imagine what your family is going through."
"Don't be silly," Cherri scolded me,"You're family by now. ..But the doctors told me there is no way to know when she will wake up. It could be weeks, days, even years some times...They say we should just try to go about our normal lives for now. It seems impossible, but spending all day every day worrying won't do any good."
I sighed,"You're right...Can you please let me know if anything changes?"
"Of course, sweetie."
"Thanks."
When I heard footsteps outside my house and the front door unlocking, I knew who it was without looking.
"Hey cousin!"
Blaze started barking happily, running from his bed in the kitchen to the front room to greet Paul.
I rolled my eyes.
Ever since we've been on speaking terms again, Paul has been coming over every day, eating me out of house and home, and coming up with dozens of annoying tactics to try and cheer me up.
"You need to go grocery shopping," Paul whined into my empty refrigerator,"The fridge was never empty when Aunt lived her."
"Just take my card to go get something to eat,"I reached for my bag.
"Lulu-",Paul slammed the refrigerator door shut,"You haven't left your house in a week! You need to get out of here."
I gave him an agitated look.
Paul let out a sigh,"Come on! Let's go to the big food mart in Forks, or you're going to have to listen to my stomach growling for the rest of the day."
I rolled my eyes, but reached for my purse and car keys.
I turned and briskly walked to my garage so I didn't have to look at the dopey smile on Paul's face.
"By the way, tonight the whole pack is having dinner at Sam's house. You get to meet Emily, Sam's fiancée." Paul informed me as we settled into my Cadillac.
"I'll go shopping with you, no to the dinner."
Paul snickered,"I didn't ask if you wanted to go. You agreed to be part of the pack now, that includes family dinners."
I rolled my eyes. I did say I would be a part of the pack. I wanted to learn how to control myself. I didn't couldn't live with myself if I hurt another person.
But it was going to take some getting use to. Changing into a giant wolf, vampire hunting. And I was still not ready for all my thoughts to be on display for six teenage boys to hear.

Sam's house was wooden and quaint. Under each window sill was a box of colorful flowers, which helped to brighten up the old house.
When we pulled up, Quil and Embry were leaning against the porch. They jumped to their feet when we opened pulled up.
""Woah, what happened to your hair?" Quil exclaimed when he saw me.
There was a hair salon right next to the grocery store Paul and I went to. I cut almost everything off into an a-line bob.
I shrugged,"I guess I should take some of your guys' advice."
"Still gorgeous, as always," Quil winked.
I tried to suppress a giggle,"Still a flirt, as always."
Quil laughed,"Never expect less from me!"
I inhaled the aroma coming from the kitchen, it made my mouth water,"The food smells so good!"
"Emily is the best cook,"Embry smiled.
Quil looked around and lowered his voice to a whisper,"Just don't stare at her, it makes Sam uncomfortable."
I followed the boys through the front door, wondering why they think I would stare at Emily. She must be extremely beautiful. He is probably just uncomfortable when it's horny teenage boys staring at her.
"Hey, she-wolf made it!" Jared called when he saw me come in. He was sitting at a small wooden table in the kitchen, each of the chairs at the table where different shapes and colors,"Nice hair." Jared added.
"Luna, I'm glad you could make it," Sam motioned to a woman standing over the oven in a small kitchen,"This is my fiancée, Emily."
The woman turned around.
She was very beautiful, but that isn't why I was told not to stare. The right side of her face was scarred from hair line to chin by three thick red lines. One scare pulled down the corner of her dark almond shaped eye, and another twisted the right side of her mouth into a grimace.
I instantly felt bad for Emily.
Sol got made fun of and stared at all the time for her scarred face. She always had her hair covering her face, because of how self conscious she was.
I wonder if Emily felt the same way.
"It's great to meet you," Emily smiled at me.
She had a contagious smile, I couldn't help myself from returning it to her,"Its nice to meet you too. Thank you for dinner, it smells great."
"No problem, I love having everyone over."
Seeing Sam with Emily was like seeing a whole other person.
He wasn't so serious, he always had a smile on his face, he couldn't keep his eyes off her. You could see the love both of them have for each other. The most beautiful love I've ever witnessed.
"Where's Jacob? I'm ready to eat!" Jared complained.
"We'll start without him, if there's no food left by the time he gets here, that will teach him to be on time," Sam grunted.
The table and counter were both filled with so much food, you'd think we were feeding an army. I doubted that we would run out of food.
"You don't have to tell me twice," Paul said, dishing mashed potatoes into his plate.
Emily frowned,"I'll save a plate for him!"
I sat down in between Paul and Quil and loaded my plate with some of everything. Ribs, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, rolls.
The food was as good as it smelt, I was almost done with my first plate when I heard a car pulled up to the driveway.
I looked up when the door opened, my eyes locked with Jacob Black's.
Something was different when I saw him, we looked eyes and I couldn't move, I couldn't breathe. I heard people talking around me, but the sound was muffled. All of my focus was on him. Even if I wanted to, look away, I couldn't. My eyes were glued to his beautiful deep brown eyes.
I felt like we were lost in time. I couldn't see anyone else anymore besides Jacob's.
The lights seemed to dance off his russet skin and glossy hair.
I never noticed how exactly how gorgeous he was.
Jacob was stuck in the doorway, his gaze locked on mine as well, his mouth slightly hung open.
"Earth to Luna!" I only broke my gaze with Jacob when Paul waved his hand in front of my face.
I briefly looked at Paul, but my eyes went right back to Jacob, who was walking to the kitchen, he was still looking at me, his head turned as he went, so he didn't have to look away from me. He wasn't paying attention to where he was going, and ran into the counter.
The guys snickered.
I gasped for air, not knowing I hadn't been breathing, and looked around.
Everyone at the table was staring at Jacob and I, with their eyes and mouth wide opened.
"No fair, why couldn't it be me!" Quil threw his fork on his empty glass plate with so much force it almost broke.
If I was in my right state of mine I would have wondered what Quil was talking about, but my sight was back on Jacob, who was looking up at me while he piled his food into his mouth.
Once he finished his plate, Jacob looked away from me,"I have to go- help my dad with something. Thanks for dinner, Em."
He walked out the door, leaving me looking after him like a lost puppy.
Once he left the room, I felt an empty, aching feeling, it was like a part of me went with him out the door, and it was pulling me to follow.
Everyone looked at the closed door, and then back at me before returning to what they were doing.
I didn't hear much of the conversations going on. I couldn't stop thinking about Jacob.
I started to gather plates when I noticed Emily at the sink, cleaning.
"Thanks Luna," Emily smiled at me as I set the plates in the sink and started rinsing them off.
"Thank you for the food, it was amazing."
We stayed silent for a while as we cleaned.
"How long have you and Sam been together?" I asked, striking up conversation.
"Almost a year," Emily couldn't help the grin that spread, lighting up her face.
"You both seem so happy. You're lucky."
"We are lucky," Sam smiled at Emily.
"You ready to go?" Paul asked,"You have your first patrol shift with me tonight."
"Yeah," Emily handed me a hand towel so I could dry off,"Thanks. It was so great to meet you, Emily."
Emily smiled at me,"It was great to meet you too. I'll see you soon!"
Sam wrapped his arms around her,"Have a good night, be safe you two."
"Yeah, yeah." Paul snickered.
We drove my car back to my house before starting our patrol. I stayed silent during the drive, and turned the radio on high.
Paul lowered the radio after a while,"Soo..." He was looking at me strangely.
"What's up?" I asked uneasily.
"Um, how are you feeling?"
"I feel fine," I was still thinking about Jacob.
"Do you- I mean, you probably don't know what happened tonight." Paul examined my face.
"What do you mean?" I wondered.
"You and Jacob imprinted on each other."