Friends

I yawned.
Paul was teaching me werewolf 101 last night. After our patrol shift, I was up thinking about what Paul told me about Jacob.
We're imprints.
Imprinting is the way our ancestors found their soulmate, you're unconditionally bound to that person for the rest of your life. You become whatever the other person needs you to be, a friend, a protector, a lover.
It didn't happen to every werewolf, in fact, it was supposed to be very rare. Sam is the only other wolf of this generation to imprint. When I was connected to Paul's mind I was able to see Sam's thoughts about Emily. He would do anything for her, her wellbeing was always on his mind. He would never be able to live without her.
I didn't know what to think of this, it's confusing.
Yes, I used to have a crush on Jacob Black. But I never thought he was my soulmate.
And I don't know how he felt about me.
A few years ago I would probably be ecstatic to find out Jacob and I were met to be together.
But I don't even know him anymore, he doesn't know me.
I don't want us to be forced to love each other.
Plus, I just got out of a relationship, I didn't want to be dating someone else anytime soon.
But what if Jacob wanted to be with me? I wouldn't be able to deny him anything. I'd do anything I could just to make him happy.
Once the sun started to come up I decided I would have to talk to Jacob and see what he wanted to do.

Jacob's house resembled a miniature red barn, I stood at the red front door. I knew Jacob was there, I could smell him, I could hear his heart beating, and I wanted nothing more than to be in his arms.
It took me a couple minutes before I mustered up the courage to knock.
I could hear wheels against the wooden floor.
When the door opened I looked down at Jacob's dad, Billy Black who had opened the door.
"Hi Luna," Billy didn't sound surprised to see me.
"I-Um, I was just hoping to talk to Jacob, I- I mean, is he available?"
I heard Jacob spring off of his bed and before Billy could even open his mouth to speak he was standing behind his father.
"Luna," His deep voice sounded like a warm caress saying my name.
He walked outside and closed the door on his confused father.
We both walking aimlessly without any words into the woods. It felt so right being next to him. After a while of walking I stopped and looked up at two brown eyes who were staring back at me.
I could look at him for hours and never get bored, but I came here to talk.
"Paul explained imprinting to me."
"And what do you think about it?" Jacob examined my face.
"I don't know." I honestly answered.
Jacob let out a laugh. The sound made my heart fly,"I don't know what to think either."
Even though I was just getting to know Jacob Black again I knew I could be completely open and honest with him,"I just got out of a relationship that ended badly, I wasn't expecting this... I was expecting to be involved with anyone else for a long time, I haven't even completely healed from that yet. And I know that you are in love with Bella Swan."
I stopped to breathe. Jacob looked at me, waiting to for me to finish.
"What Sam and Emily have...that's amazing. But I don't want either of us to be forced into loving each other. Just because we are "soulmates" or whatever, doesn't mean we should have to feel obligated to anything...Paul told me imprinting can mean anything, a friend, a protector, or... a lover."
Silence fell upon us again.
"You're right," Jacob finally talked,"I am in love with Bella."
I shifted,"So, we can be friends?"
"Yes, I want to be your friend." He looked nervous,"Is that what you want?"
I smiled,"Yes. I can do that."
"Ok, friend," Jacob smirked,"I'll see you later?"
"Yeah, see you later, friend." I wonder if Jacob felt the same feeling when he walked away from me, that pulling, telling me to turn back.
If he did feel the same way he didn't listen to it. So I kept walking home.