"If you love someone, go with your heart."

It was nearly dark now, and Cara made her way to the stables. She hoped he was still there, and knowing his love for the animals she thought he would be. It was rather mysterious for a girl to go to the stable at night alone, but she had no fear.

Entering, she found him tending to a horse. He looked up. "My lady, you come late."

"Yes. I just wanted to. . ." Her words failed her, mainly because she didn't know how to put into words what she wanted to say.

He crossed the short distance to her, and by the light of a glowing lantern, she saw again his features. Strong, lean, with full, thick, medium brown hair that was cut but still seemed dense, brown leather work tunic that showed the muscles of his arms, and last but not least, dark kindly eyes that seemed to look right through her. Yes, she said to herself, he was only  the stable boy, but one that no one would take lightly. The thing that gave her pause, was the masculinity that seemed to ooze from him.

"What is it, my lady?" he asked, now standing close enough to reach out and touch her.

"You have seen it. All the visitors coming for my little affair. To tell you the truth, I am rather awed by it all."

"It is your time, I understand. Soon, a prince will discover you and take you away. We will miss you."

Cara noticed he turned away on saying that. Was there a tinge of bitterness in his voice? She didn't want to end what had never begun. Suddenly, an idea came to her. "True, I suppose. You have been a faithful caretaker of my horses. . ." She stopped her petty little speech when he looked into her eyes. "Justin, I would like to ride with you."

"Of course," he answered, as if it was the most natural thing in the world. "I will get your horse saddled."

They set out together by the failing light of day and reached the gate. There, the guards would have to raise it for them, and at her orders they did so without delay. Cara knew word would get back on whom she rode with this evening, but for once she didn't care. She felt the need to talk with a man about what was forthcoming in her life, and decided it would be Justin.

Once they had ridden outside the view of the fortress, Cara felt more comfortable. Their horses walked at an easy pace side by side along the trail. She sensed that Justin was uncertain, not knowing where this was leading.

"So, here's the thing, Justin. All of a sudden I'm being set up for marriage, and I don't even know if I'm ready for it." She looked sideways and saw that his head was turned toward her, obviously listening.

"That's the way of life, my lady. When your father thinks it's time."

"I know, and it's so unfair. Just because I'm the daughter of a lord, must I always follow custom?" She turned to see Justin watching her. "I mean, I'm not opposed to marriage in principle. It's just that it should be with someone I care about."

Justin didn't at first say anything, but she sensed he could see her way of thinking. Then he asked, so quietly she almost didn't hear him. "My lady, is there someone you care about?"

She turned to look at him, and it seemed as if their eyes locked. She was conscious of something passing between them, but she tore her eyes from his. She hesitated, before answering. "I don't know, Justin," she answered honestly.

She saw him turn from her and look straight ahead. Then he said, "You make me see now how it is with royalty. I can have a girl of my own choosing, if she is willing, but you must take the hand that is offered, even if it might be someone whom you could not love."

"That's it exactly, Justin. I might even be given to a man twice my age who is a tyrant within his own kingdom. How could a girl live with that?"

"Have you no choice at all? Can you not reject someone?" Cara caught anger in his voice.

Thinking quickly about what he said, she rejoined, "Maybe my best defense is to act strange and arrogant with a suitor whom I would not want for a husband."

"Do that," he said smiling at her. "Turn them off until you find someone you could love."

"Father will be angry."

"But it's your life."

"It's going to be hard for me. I've always wanted to please people, particularly father. He's been good to me."

"Yes, your father is good. We don't have the harsh rules I have heard are common in some manors. If I didn't care. . ."

She saw him hesitate and start again.

"If I had no interest in your well being, I would say go with who chooses you and who your father approves. Maybe things will work out for you. But, if you love someone," he added in a quiet voice, "go with your heart."

They were now returning to the stable and at his last words she looked into his eyes, glowing now by the light of the moon. "Yes," she answered. 

Hey, guys (meaning girls and guys) Know this is a little short. Just hope you like it, cause if you do it's going to continue. Love your comments too.