Let's have fun!

Two weeks had passed, and at last word came from the doctors that it was safe for all those living in the castle to go where they willed within it. It was happy news for Cara, Trent, and their children who fortunately had not contracted the disease. Trent was one of many who had, but now she was glad that he once again felt hale and hearty.

Evie too, was completely recovered. Not surprisingly, she, Richard, his father and their company of knights were making plans to at last return to their own kingdom. But before they did, Trent wanted to celebrate. And as the weather was nice, he wanted all of his friends and family to come together with him and his wife and children on a picnic.

It was a most cheerful group that set out that Saturday morning. Several knights were chosen to join them to provide a guard, but in a time of peace even that may not have been necessary. Cara rode in the company of her sister Evie, Gianna, and her other good friend, Elke. Up ahead was Trent, Daniel, Justin and Richard, talking companionably as they rode together in twos side by side. One of them said something that made Trent laugh out loud, and even though Cara was further back she knew the sound of his hearty laughter and knew he was happy. She reflected, they had all been through so much.

Just now she was riding alongside Evie, and as they were conversing she noticed her midriff. "Evie," she said, "Is there something about you that you haven't been telling us?"

"My dear sister, you know I tell you everything, or almost everything."

"Everything?" she asked, taking a good look at her.

"Ok," said Evie, as she leaned over to whisper to Cara. "Yes, Richard and I are going to have a baby."

Cara smiled broadly and tried to hold in her excitement because apparently Evie didn't yet want her news to become common knowledge. Leaning toward her as they continued to ride along, she whispered, "That is so wonderful, Evie."

Evie gave her a big smile in return, and then urging her horse on moved ahead toward Richard.

They reached the meadow Trent had chosen for their picnic and there laid down the blankets and brought out the drinks. Most of the women gathered together on one side where they could keep an eye on the children. Kirah and Brendan were now both old enough to walk freely and Cara was glad to see that her friend Elke's two children had kind of taken them under their wing—playing with them, showing them how to do simple things like picking flowers and chasing butterflies. Cara and Elke both smiled to see their children romping together.

Before long both the women and men got out their packages of venison, chicken, fresh baked bread, vegetables and cherries, the earliest fruit of the season. Evie came back to join the women as they dined and of course they conversed heartily of women's things, of children, and of Cara's brother Gilbert's upcoming marriage. Elke informed them that she and her husband Johann were expecting their third, to be born sometime near Christmas day. Hearing that, Evie informed the other women of what she had already told Cara, that she too was expecting. Her revelation to them was greeted with much talk and excitement. Only Gianna of the women had as yet no children or any on the way.

Cara told her, "Gianna, you and Justin have been married for scarcely two months. Enjoy your time together before children, for they will come soon enough."

After eating, Cara saw that the men were all on their feet discussing some kind of game with a ball they were going to be playing. She knew something of it, a rough game though not too violent, but one that would end up with some of them knocked to the ground. Certainly not a game any of the women would choose to participate in. Instead, they decided to take a walk, to leave the meadow and follow a path likely made by deer into the cool of the forest. They talked as they walked, keeping the children together and trying to prevent them from wandering off the path. Few animals could be seen as they went, not surprising for they were hardly a quiet group and as they traveled single file where the trail was narrow, the sound of their occasional bursts of laughter rang through the forest.

They returned to see a man getting up from the ground, blood coming from his nose. Evie ran to him, for it was Richard who was bleeding. Despite that, the men were laughing and even Richard was smiling, though he held a cloth to his nose to staunch the blood.

Cara hear him tell Evie not to worry, "it is nothing," she heard him say and saw some of the men pat each other on the back, their game apparently over. She thought to herself, what rough things men do that they consider to be fun.

As they made their way back to the castle, already Cara was thinking. It had been a fun day, and already she was looking forward to making the trip back home to her father's kingdom to be there for her brother Gilbert's marriage. She also wanted to visit Evie and Richard in his father's kingdom before the weather turned cold. It came to her that with her Kirah and Brendan, along with her good friend Elke's two children and another on the way, and with Evie's forthcoming child that they were starting a new generation. A new generation that when they became adults would need to make their own way in the world. She hoped for peace and happiness for them. As Trent came to ride alongside her on their return she smiled at him and he at her. They were good for each other. She loved him dearly. She was happy.

New story starting today: A Knight to Remember

Dear friends and followers and all who have enjoyed this story. We have reached the end. Know I've made mistakes along the way that need to be corrected, but thank you for any that you have kindly pointed out. Appreciate all your comments. If you liked it, let someone else know. Hope the next tale, starting right away will capture your interest.